Marvel Comics character. First appeared in Fantastic Four #48 in 1966. This was followed by his own comic book series in 1968, which died of natural causes after 18 issues. The Surfer (aka Sentinel of the Spaceways, Skyrider of the Spaceways, and (to his closest friends) Silverado) reappeared in 1982 in a one-issue "series" in which he returns briefly to his homeworld, Zenn-La, discovers that it has been ravaged, apparently by Galactus, imparts some of his power cosmic to his estranged love, Shalla-Bal, then must return to Earth.

In 1987, a new Silver Surfer series began, and the Surfer managed to end his exile on Earth (punishment from Galactus for disobedience).He returned home, only to find that things were not as he had dreamed. He sets off upon a solitary quest for meaning. This came to a close with issue #146 in 1998, where his solitary quest turns into something of a team effort, as he effectively retires to Earth and takes up residence with his new girlfriend, Alicia Masters, who sure does seem to get around (I'm still mad at her for dumping Ben Grimm).

There was a two-issue miniseries in 1988 entitled "Parable," which seems to have gotten mixed reviews from Surfer fans. This makes no sense to me since it was clearly the most philosophically inclined and aesthetically pleasing comic of its day. I cherish my copies. Note the reference to this series in the Denzel Washington movie "Crimson Tide."

He made numerous "guest" appearances in other Marvel series, and as I recall he was attached to the Defenders at some point.

In my book, there is no comic character who is more clearly meant to resemble Christ, in His manifestation as the suffering servant of man. The Surfer's continual struggle to find peace and meaning in a universe apparently bereft of both is both touching and inspiring.