The scarred and mute elite commando of the G.I. Joe team, whose adventures were chronicled in an early-80's animated series and a Marvel Comics title.

Snake Eyes served in Vietnam, where he met Storm Shadow, a young member of a ninja clan who became like a brother to him. Snake Eyes travelled with Storm Shadow to Japan and trained with the clan until Storm Shadow became jealous of the patriarch of the clan's fondness for Snake Eyes.

After Storm Shadow apparently killed the patriarch, Snake Eyes returned to the U.S. and active duty with the military. During a desert operation, he was horribly injured in a helicopter acccident, leaving him mute as well as terribly disfigured.

Upon his recovery (though he never recovered the power of speech), Snake Eyes joined the U.S. Government's secret G.I. Joe antiterrorist force. During his service with G.I. Joe, he again encountered Storm Shadow, this time as a minion of the terrorist organization C.O.B.R.A., G.I. Joe's archenemy.

Eventually, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were reconciled, the latter revealing that he was not in fact the killer of their mentor, but rather that he had joined C.O.B.R.A. to find the real killer.

Throughout the series, Snake Eyes maintained a romantic attachment to Scarlett, the team's counter-intelligence specialist. His story threads dominated the series and comprised most of the highlights of the comic book's run.