Did you ever stop to wonder where society would be without supermodels? US model agent, Eileen Ford, gives her perspective:

"Models do not have a negative impact on women. They have a positive impact because they set standards. Women are going to look like themselves but they will look like their best selves because models set standards. When you think you look your best and feel your best there's an aura around you of self confidence and self assurance. Models do that to women".

Wow. I never thought about it that way before. If it weren't for models, no one would know what was beautiful. If it weren't for supermodels, I wouldn't know that I'm chubby, my hips are too wide, my shoulders too broad, and, apparently, my breasts are either too big or too small these days. I wouldn't know that I have to aim for the body of a twelve-year-old boy in order to be attractive at the end of the second millennium. Unfortunately, biology did not give me the body of a young boy; it gave me the body of a twenty-two-year-old woman. But women's magazines tell me I can overcome nature with diet and ceaseless exercise. Whew. Thank God for supermodels. If it weren't for them, millions of teenage girls and women wouldn't be killing themselves with eating disorders, diet pills, and enemas (sick but true) for the unattainable body. That's real "self confidence and self assurance". Apparently, I was mistaken about the definition of those words, as well.