Three Concert Études (Trois études de concert), are a set of three piano études by Franz Liszt, composed between 1845–49 and published in Paris with the three individual titles as they are known today.

 

Étude No. 1, Il Lamento:

Written in A-flat major, it is among Liszt's longest pieces in the genre. It starts with a four-note lyrical melody which folds itself through the work, followed by a Chopin-like chromatic pattern which reappears again in the coda. Although the piece opens and ends in A-flat major, it shifts throughout its three parts to many other keys, A, G, D-sharp, F-sharp and B among them.

 

Étude No. 2, La Leggierezza (meaning "lightness"):

In F minor with a very simple melodic line for each hand. It starts with a fast but delicate sixteen chromatic-note arpeggio divided into thirds and sixths under an irregular rhythmic subdivision and cadenza so as to underline the atmosphere implied in its title. The technical difficulties involved in playing the piece include rapid leggiero chromatic runs, often with irregular rhythmic groupings, and passages in sixths and thirds.

 

Étude No. 3, Un Sospiro (Italian for "A sigh"):

The third étude is a study in crossing hands, playing a simple melody with alternating hands, and arpeggios. The melody is quite dramatic, almost Impressionistic, radically changing in dynamics at times. Un Sospiro consists of a flowing background superimposed by a simple melody written in the third staff. There are also small cadenza sections requiring delicate fingerwork throughout the middle section of the piece. Towards the end, after the main climax of the piece, both hands are needed to cross in an even more complex pattern. Since there are so many notes to be played rapidly and they are too far away from other clusters of notes that must be played as well, the hands are required to cross multiple times to reach dramatic notes near the end of the piece on the last page.