WARNING, Spoilers to come in this W/U about the Movie!

Chris Columbus pulled off one of the most difficult feats imaginable: taking one of the world's single most popular books by J.K. Rowling and making it into an absolutely breathtaking movie. The soundtrack by John T. Williams (who also composed the soundtracks to The Goonies, every Star Wars and Indiana Jones film, plus about fifty others) creates an eerie listening experience while still bringing the listener's ears through adventure, suspense, and mystery. The set design, art, and costuming were all absolutely astounding, and contained more eye candy than even Willow. My only complaints about the costuming is that the goblin hands seemed a bit stiff during the scenes where they walk, but otherwise everything was exactly the way I pictured it after reading the books (a commonly shared opinion by nearly everyone who saw the Sneak Preview on November 15th, 2001.

Minute detail and attention were paid to nearly every single aspect of the film. I will most likely go back and see it several more times just to catch what all the pictures are doing in the background. The Quidditch match was without a doubt one of the top three in Coolest Flying Sequences Ever, ranking up there with Luke Skywalker taking out the first Death Star and the Pod Racing scene. Probably the single most impressive aspect of the entire film is that it was not just a book slapped together with special effects. While the special effects were extremely well done, nothing was done with them that hasn't been done before. The special effects were so subtle you can barely catch them, in other places they flow seamlessly from one scene to the next. But overall, what holds your eye is a beautiful set, complimented by excellent actors and actresses (I will spare you the list since that has already been written up), and... well, let's be honest, waiting for the Quidditch match.

My only criticisms of the movie are thus: The Professors in the movie seemed a bit watered down from their likenesses in the books. Minerva McGonagall, played by Maggie Smith, was a seemed less like the strict and stern --but just-- schoolmarm and more like a mischievious grandmother who has to keep up a good public appearance. Severus Snape played by acting god Alan Rickman seemed less like the sinister and plotting bully that hated Harry Potter and actually seemed more like the role McGonagall plays in the books: authoritative, challenging, but not overly picking on Harry. Additionally, Draco Malfroy seemed quite watered down as the villainous Slytherin brat, and seemed more like Richie Rich without enough sleep or his morning tea. Also, the Quidditch match was too short. In truth it's length was just fine. If there had been 2 hours worth of Quidditch, it would still be too short. My final complaint is that I must wait at least another year before seeing the next installment.

There are a few noticeable differences between Book One and Movie One, however. This is, of course, to prevent the audience from having to sit through 7 hours worth of footage (which frankly I Wouldn't have minded in the least). Some scenes had to be cut, or glossed over. But the most noticeable plot differences are below...

  • Draco and Harry don't meet in the shop in Diagon Alley, nor on the train, they meet at the gate to Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
  • Harry's being appointed to the Gryffindor Quidditch Team was not kept secret.
  • Norbert, the dragon that Rubeus Hagrid raises, had the entire story around it changed, which unfortunately affected the rest of the plot quite a bit, since the story behind how they each lose a total of 150 points from the Gryffindor House changes, gets watered down, and there isn't the isolation and resentment felt by their housemates, which in turn... well, you get the idea.
  • Argus Filch and Hagrid appear to be friends.
  • Harry isn't given the flute by Hagrid, which requires them to insert an auto-playing harp for Fluffy.
  • The devilweed vines scene is considerably different, and as a result, part of Albus Dumbledore's speech when he awards points to Harry doesn't make as much sense. In the book, Harry must remind Hermione Granger that she is a witch because she is panicking, and that she can create fire without use of matches or lighters. "Keeping a cool clear head in the face of crisis..."
  • The scene with the riddle of potions is completely removed, Hermione has already left after the chess match.
  • The climactic is completely changed, and it makes considerably less sense as to why Harry was hospitalized, since the only impression we get at the end is that Lord Voldemort's ghost passes through Harry.
  • Peeve's the Poultergeist was completely left out, and the Bloody Baron didn't seem very intimidating in the least.


That said, it should be noted that these differences are not complaints so much as things that were noticeable between the book and the movie. Both are similar enough, however, to satisfy the reader, and both are good enough on their own to appease one who has only read the book or only seen the movie. All in all, I believe this installment of the Harry Potter Saga will go down as one of the decade's Greats.