Among the hundreds of variations of poker, one of the most nail-biting and unpredictable is called incest. It is a hi-lo game, which means the pot is split between the best and the worst hands. (The best low hand in poker is either A,2,3,4,6 with at least two different suits showing, or, if straights and flushes are discounted, A,2,3,4,5 with any combination of suits, including all the same.)

Each player is dealt two cards face down and then selects one to expose. The hidden, or "down" card and all cards of the same denomination subsequently dealt to that player are wild, which means you can play them as any card you like. (So if your first two cards are paired, you automatically have two wild cards, which means you will end up with three of a kind, or "trips" at the very least). A round of betting follows. A third card is dealt down and again players choose which card to expose and again the card that is left hidden (which can change over the course of the hand) is wild. The process is repeated until five cards have been dealt to each player, four of which are exposed, the fifth hidden and wild. After another round of betting, each player is given an opportunity to change a single card. If an exposed card is changed, the fresh card is dealt face up. If a down card is changed, the fresh card is dealt down. This draw can, and usually does, change everything, often turning an outside-chancer into a surefire winner or busting a would-be low hand. There follows a fifth and last round of betting (by now the pot is usually quite large). Finally, those players still left in the game must simultaneously declare (by, for example, revealing one, two, or three chips hidden in their fist) whether they are vying for the highest hand, the lowest, or both. If a player declares "both" he must win both. If he/she loses either, he/she wins nothing.