Sub*scrip"tion (?), n. [L. subscriptio: cf. F. souscription.]

1.

The act of subscribing.

2.

That which is subscribed.

Specifically: (a)

A paper to which a signature is attached.

(b)

The signature attached to a paper.

(c)

Consent or attestation by underwriting the name.

(d)

Sum subscribed; amount of sums subscribed; as, an individual subscription to a fund.

3. Eccl.

The acceptance of articles, or other tests tending to promote uniformity; esp. Ch. of Eng., formal assent to the Thirty-nine Articles and the Book of Common Prayer, required before ordination.

4.

Submission; obedience.

[Obs.]

You owe me no subscription. Shak.

5. Pharm.

That part of a prescription which contains the direction to the apothecary.

<-- 6.

A method of purchasing items produced periodically in a series, as newspapers or magazines, in which a certain number of the items are delivered as produced, without need for ordering each item individually; also, the purchase thus executed.

The right to attend a series of public performances of ballet, opera, or music are also often sold by subscription. The payment for a subscription may be made prior to delivery of any items (common with magazines and performances), or after a certain number of the items have been delivered (common with newspapers or works of art produced in a series).

7. An application to purchase a certain number of securities to be delivered when they are newly issued. -->

 

© Webster 1913.