Bribe (?), n. [F. bribe a lump of bread, scraps, leavings of meals (that are generally given to a beggar), LL. briba scrap of bread; cf. OF. briber, brifer, to eat gluttonously, to beg, and OHG. bilibi food.]

1.

A gift begged; a present.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

2.

A price, reward, gift, or favor bestowed or promised with a view to prevent the judgment or corrupt the conduct of a judge, witness, voter, or other person in a position of trust.

Undue reward for anything against justice is a bribe. Hobart.

3.

That which seduces; seduction; allurement.

Not the bribes of sordid wealth can seduce to leave these everblooming sweets. Akenside.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bribe, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bribed (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Bribing.]

1.

To rob or steal.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

2.

To give or promise a reward or consideration to (a judge, juror, legislator, voter, or other person in a position of trust) with a view to prevent the judgment or corrupt the conduct; to induce or influence by a bribe; to give a bribe to.

Neither is he worthy who bribes a man to vote against his conscience. F. W. Robertson.

3.

To gain by a bribe; of induce as by a bribe.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bribe, v. i.

1.

To commit robbery or theft.

[Obs.]

2.

To give a bribe to a person; to pervert the judgment or corrupt the action of a person in a position of trust, by some gift or promise.

An attempt to bribe, though unsuccessful, has been holden to be criminal, and the offender may be indicted. Bouvier.

The bard may supplicate, but cannot bribe. Goldsmith.

 

© Webster 1913.