Album: Music Has the Right to Children
Artist: Boards of Canada
Label: Warp, Skam and Matador
Year: 1998
Rating: 4/5
Summary: Warm, fuzzy nostalgia.

The first widely available album by Scottish duo Boards of Canada, Music Has the Right to Children sees them refine their unique sound, practically establishing it as a genre in its own right.

In general, this album feels laid back, albeit with dark undertones. Despite its chilled vibe, the actual sounds used are far removed from the well trodden path of ambient techno, without an eighties synthesiser preset or Roland drum machine in sight. Instead, Boards of Canada created their own distinct style consisting of smooth beats and dreamy, lazy melodies played on old synthesisers, mixed in with the occasional indistinct talking and children's laughter. This combination of sounds evokes a feeling of nostalgia that is for the most part warm and fuzzy, although at times it can be slightly creepy.

From Aquarius, with its infectious bassline and samples of children's television shows, to the shimmering beatless masterpieces like Olson and Open the Light, this well-polished album regresses the listener back to a more innocent time, making it ideal music to lie back and unwind to.