Ok so today was a weird day at work. My line manager had called a meeting for 9am this morning which we were all required to attend (usually at least a couple of staff are unavailable). This was a sure sign that something was up...

I already had an inkling of what was coming as my manager had pulled me aside yesterday and asked if I was interested in basically trading some duties for new ones. I jumped at the chance. Now, for the next three months at least, I have responsibility for Service Database management, email administration and have been tasked to write documentation and implement improvements to our helpdesk. It also means that I don't have to go running round the countryside doing stupid hardware and software repairs. WooHoo!

But here's the killer... my manager has given one of my colleagues responsibility for workflow management, especially staffing allocation and prioritisation of incidents. This in itself is a good thing, but the problem is that he's given the responsibility to someone who quite frankly couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. But, the person concerned can talk a damn good story. Ho hum, its always the way, the people who're useless but can talk the talk get all the glory jobs.

There was a slightly stunned silence during the meeting and afterwards, at least four other members of the team came up to me freaking out because he'd been given the responsibility.

I suppose time will tell how things turn out, but we're prepared for a bumpy ride.