Singapore is an island which lies south of Peninsular Malaysia (specifically, the state of Johor) and north of the Indonesian Riau archipelago.

The real administrative state. They want to know what you think. They tell you what you should think. Everyone exists for the advancement of the nation. Also one of the few places which tries to fully embrace meritocracy.

A small country with the main island only being slightly larger than 600 sq km, with currently a population of about three million Singaporeans of various ethnic backgrounds with about one million foreign workers around the place, Singapore has a very high population density.

Singaporean males have to go through two and a half years of National Service in the Army after they hit 18. They are then eligible for reservist duties until they reach 40. Many dislike this state of affairs but cannot help their circumstances.

Founded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819, Singapore became fully independent in 1965 when it broke away from Malaysia, following a period of racial riots in Malaysia.

The PAP (People's Action Party) assumed power then and has won landslide victories in all general elections since, usually winning more than 90% of the seats in every election. Singapore's first Prime Minister, Mr. Lee Kuan Yew, was the longest serving prime minister in the world. He has retired from prime ministership but continues to exert considerable influence as Senior Minister.

Singapore is an economic powerhouse and financial centre and has an unusually strong armed forces for such a small country.

The only country I know of where there is a $150 fine for not flushing public toilets and where chewing gum is a prohibited substance.


Changi International Airport on the Easternmost part of the main island of Singapore is the busiest airport in the region and a good contender for the busiest airport in the world.


Singapore's national anthem goes something like this:

MAJULAH SINGAPURA

Mari kita rakyat Singapura
Sama-sama menuju bahagia
Cita-cita kita yang mulia
Berjaya Singapura
Marilah kita bersatu
Dengan semangat yang baru
Semua kita berseru
Majulah Singapura
Majulah Singapura

It's due to a quirk in the constitution that the national anthem is in Malay, even though Malays only form less than 20% of the population of Singapore. Back when Singapore was founded, IIRC, one of the agreements between the Sultan of Johor and Sir Stamford Raffles was that Malay would be the official language. Today, Singapore recognizes four official languages but retains a national anthem in Malay.