Okay, this is good, but I know that someone must be thinking plaintively, "But baffo, unlike you, I don't live in Mexico. Reading your write-up made me hungry, and I want to actually make some tortillas and eat them. But how do I do it?"

Fear not, fair interlocutor! I can take care of at least one aspect of your query.

Only one, though. All I know how to do is make Mexican corn tortillas. Still, that's pretty good for those of us who live far away from sunny southern climes. You can make those tasty little devils at home, oh yes you can.

What you'll need is a type of corn flour that baffo has identified as "hominy". An interesting southern-kind of word. But if you go to a Mexican market and ask for hominy you may be the recipient of a puzzled look. Instead, look for a large bag of masa harina. That's the stuff you want.

And while you're there, look for a tortilla press too. It's a gadget that will make tortilla production much easier. A non-stick frying pan will expedite matters considerably, as well.

To make about 12-15 tortillas, you'll need 2 cups (480 ml) of masa harina and about 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) cold water. Mix them together in a bowl. I use my hands for this, because it's kind of sticky.

What's with the "about" qualifier on the water? The thing is, exactly how much water you need seems to depend on a number of unquantifiable factors, which probably include the air pressure; humidity level; temperature of the masa, the water, and your hands; and perhaps too your astrological sign, mother's maiden name, date of your last HIV test, and who knows what else. So let's give up on speculating on the reasons why and talk about how you know when all is right.

Take a small ball of the dough and see if it holds together. If it's powdery or dry, add a little more water. Not too much. If it seems to hold together okay, try it in the tortilla press.

First of all, cut out two sheets of smooth, fairly heavy plastic - say, from a sandwich bag. You'll need to put the ball of dough between these, because otherwise it will stick to the press. Don't even attempt to make tortillas without the plastic sheets. It'll stick. Trust me on ths one.

Put the ball of dough between the plastic sheets, place it on the tortilla press, and press. Not too hard, now! There, you've made a tortilla. (It's possible, but harder, to do this with a rolling pin. Use plastic bags, too.) Now assess the results of your handiwork. Does it look smooth, not too dry or cracked, lovely and round? I hope so. So, peel off the top sheet of plastic, flip the tortilla onto your hand, and carefully peel the second sheet off. If the dough's sticking to the plastic, it's too wet; throw it back in the bowl and add a little more more masa harina.

Okay, I'm just going to assume you've got the dough right. Now, you've got a tortilla on your hand. Heat a dry non-stick frying pan until moderately hot. No oil. Gently lay the tortilla down on the pan and cook about 30-45 seconds, just till it starts to steam. Flip it and cook about one minute on the second side. Then flip once more. If the planets are aligned and all is well with the universe, your tortilla will puff up like a little pillow. If not, oh well. It will still taste great. Wrap the thing in a tea towel and make another one. And another. And another. Now you have a stack of tortillas, waiting to be filled. Let's see: refried beans, salsa, grated cheese, sour cream, shredded lettuce, jalapenos...Yum.

If you're going to be keeping your masa harina around for more than a few months, store it in the fridge in a sealed bag. Otherwise it'll go rancid.

I can't think what Maylith imagined would happen, but she made tortillas and pressed them and didn't cook them, instead putting them in the fridge overnight. This is a Bad Idea, and Will Not Work. Don't mix up the masa and water if you don't mean to cook the whole batch up. You can store cooked tortillas in the freezer, though, each one separated by plastic or waxed paper and the whole tightly sealed in a freezer bag.