Language that is articulated through movements of the hands and arms, and facial mimicry, as opposed to the vocal organs. Such languages appear almost exclusively among communites of deaf people, but sign languages of various degrees of complexity are also used in other communities where speaking is impossible or impractical, such as in certain monasteries and nunneries.

Contrary to popular belief, there isn't any one sign language -- sign languages are as diverse in grammar and vocabulary as spoken languages are. There have been some attempts to make an artificial sign language suitable for international communication (see Gestuno) but so far with little success.

It is often the case that the borders of spoken languages don't overlap with the borders of sign languages. For instance, the US and the UK both have English as their primary, spoken language, but deaf communities in the two countries use sign languages that are mutually unintelligible (Ameslan/ASL and BSL, respectively).


Templeton: the gestures of hearing people is not a language; they are paralinguistic. Although some of the lexemes in sign languages are borrowed from gestures and pantomime, most of them soon become opaque, that is, hearing people (or deaf people with another sign language) can't guess its meaning correctly. When they are told what the sign means, and asked to take a guess at its origin, they rarely guess correctly.