I see that DejaMorgana and others recommend such things as baking soda and syrup, and eating pancakes for breakfast! A new boyfriend once tried to impress me with such "American pancakes" for breakfast. It was dreadful! (It wasn't because he'd made some mistake, this guy was a good cook, and yes, I would rather spend an evening creating ascii pr0n than eat that stuff again!) Clearly this node needs one more entry:


Yet Another Pancake Recipe

First you need to make some batter, and to get some decent proportions to the mix. The traditional recipe goes something like this:

  1. Mix some roughly-OK amount of the wet ingredients.
  2. Keep whisking and add flour until you get the right consistency.
  3. Fry.
  4. Eat.

However, there are some problems with this recipe. One problem is when you want to tell it to somebody over the Internet, it becomes hard to explain what the right consistency is, and most of you probably wouldn't understand what I meant if I compared the consistency to that of rose hip soup.

So, here are some more precise proportions to get you started:

  • 3 eggs
  • 6 dl milk
  • 1½ dl wheat flour
  • ½ tea spoon salt

Some more info

  • There's the heat problem. How hot should it be? Using an electric stove where the heat setting is graded on a scale from 1 to 12 I would set it to about 8 to start with.
  • I would put some butter (or margarine, or oil) into the frying pan, even if I was using one with teflon.
  • "The first one is for the cat." Count on the first pancake to be pale and boring. Make it small, then put some butter on it and give it to the cat.
  • A pancake made with this recipe is typically about 3 mm thick.
  • Pour the batter into the frying pan and fry until it looks "dry" (takes about 2-3 minutes). Then flip and fry the other side for a minute or two.
  • Waffles = pancakes, but prettier. (The batter is the same, and here too the first one is for the cat.)
  • Serve with some sweet jam, like strawberry, raspberry or blueberry, (not lingonberry). You can also add some whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream (but this is just for special occasions).
  • If it's a Thursday and you are eating a traditional Swedish Thursday lunch it is considered cheating to eat the pancakes without first eating the pea soup!
  • People in Norrland (the north of Sweden) don't fry their pancakes, they cook them in the oven. But, I'm not from Norrland, I just live here (and my minimalist "kitchen" doesn't have an oven), so I'll let somebody else fill in the details about how to do that.
  • Another pancake horror story: My mother is a bit of a health nut and when I was a kid she got a Brilliant Idea!!!1! She mixed some stinging nettles into pancake batter and made waffles. This actually didn't taste too bad, but when she noticed that I accepted this new dish she gradually increased the amount of nettles, until after a few weeks the result was dark green waffles that tasted terrible!


ushdfgakjasgh asked what a "dl" is. It is a deciliter (1/10 of a liter).