The twelve steps:

  1. Admit you have a problem.
  2. Admit you need help from a higher power. This need not be the Judeo-Christian God.
  3. Make a decision to turn your life around through help from the above higher power.
  4. Make a detailed personal moral inventory. As in write it down, and actually analyze yourself, item by item.
  5. Admit to yourself and to another human being the exact nature of your wrong.
  6. Become entirely ready to have your higher power remove your shortcomings.
  7. Humbly ask your higher power to remove said shortcomings.
  8. Make a list of every person you have harmed, and become willing to make amends to them.
  9. Make direct amends to the people on the aforementioned list.
  10. Continue to take a detailed personal inventory to root out your shortcomings.
  11. Seek through prayer and/or meditation to improve your relationship with your higher power as you understand it, asking only for knowledge of its will and the power to realize it.
  12. Carry the message to other sufferers of your affliction, and live out the spirit of the 12 steps.

People criticize 12-step programs as being a kind of psychological cult, and they do make some valid points, but the program is a proven method for many people to get off and stay off alcohol and drugs, and generally change their lives for the better.

I see it as a kind of prosthesis for the soul: Through the abuse of drugs, the addict has burned out their soul and lost control over their own life, becoming a machine for the consumption of more drugs. Like getting a synthetic heart, attending a 12-step program replaces the lost soul with an inferior model that doesn't do everything the original did and requires constant maintenance to keep in working order.