Here's the thing about losing a limb : Part III

The door opens and spacemen walk in.

"Wait," says Ralph. "Why are they dressed like that!"

"Don't worry. Infection control." says Dr. T.

There are two people in full tyvek suits with clear plastic head covers and masks on inside the plastic. They do not sound like Darth Vader. They carry in a case. "Hello, is this our guy?" Neither spaceman holds out a hand.

"Yes, this is Mr. Ralph Jaunds."

"Uh, hello," says Ralph.

"Ok, let's suit you up," says the taller one, putting down the case.

"Suit me up? What do you mean? I can't wear that!"

"Ralph, it's just to keep infection from spreading. We don't know if it's an infection yet. These are just precautions."

"I'm terrified of diving."

"No, there is no oxygen tank. Just filters. It filters the air going in and out. We are going to get you, well, and me too, to a reverse air flow room."

"Reverse air flow? Like a hood?"

Dr. T. frowns. "Yes, like a hood. Now how do you know about hoods?"

"Did you want to put your shirt on first? Step into this, Mr. Jaunds." The tyvek suit has built in boots and gloves. Ralph puts his shirt and jacket back on and gets into the tyvek.

"I'm claustrophobic," says Ralph.

"You'll be able to see just fine, it's just like an extra mask," says the other person in tyvek. She has a light gentle voice. Both Ralph and Dr. T. are helped into suits. The plastic helmet comes over Ralph's face. He inhales, but he can see and breathe.

"The hood?" prompts Dr. T.

"I have one." says Ralph.

"What for?"

"Lead bullets. I make them inside the hood. Lead isn't so good for you."

"Um, yeah." says Dr. T.

They are dressed and the door opens. The clinic halls are empty. They are escorted out into the sunlight, cool in the autumn, and to an ambulance.

"Do I have to lie down?" Ralph asks.

"Nope," says Tyvek 1.

The doors close. The ambulance drives away quietly, no sirens.

"The hospital only has four reverse flow rooms. If they get really busy, we'll have to share one. Otherwise I will be next door while they run tests."

"I don't like this at all," says Ralph.

"Well, honestly, me either." says Dr. T, sighing.

_______________________________

Scroll this article to see springhares under blacklight: https://www.popsci.com/story/environment/glowing-pink-biofluorescent-springhares/
IRON NODER XVI: MORE STUBBORN-HARD THAN HAMMER'D IRON: 1.