A proposed gene that gay men have (and possibly also lesbians) that explains why they're gay. The holy grail of the 'I didn't choose to be gay' brigade. It's a notion that makes me very, very uncomfortable. Why?

Well, one, because the first thing they did when they found a genetic test for Down's Syndrome was to abort all the Down's foetuses. Don't tell me they won't do the same to queer babies, because my mother told me that, if she'd know I was a foetal dyke, she'd've aborted me.

Two, why does anyone care whether people choose to be gay or not? It's only if you think there's a problem with being queer that there's a question about cause. It's only if we want to see ourselves as victims of circumstance, rather than individuals who can be as proud of our lives as anyone else, that it matters a flying fuck.

Three, what's 'gay' anyway? Is there a bisexual gene? Or is that half a gay gene? Sexuality's more complex than that, so the researchers are likely on a hiding to nothing anyway.

Well, OK, I always thought that one day they'd find the lesbian gene, and test me. And I wouldn't have it. Everyone would find out I was just doing it because it's fun.


To respond to all the genetics talk below: what you're missing, I think, is that probably the majority of same-sex-attracted people, throughout history and now, have sex with people of the opposite sex. Just because you are gay, doesn't mean you'll act gay, especially in a homophobic society.