The Harry Potter books, introduced only a few years ago, created by author J.K. Rowling have gone over huge all over the world, entrancing children and adults alike. In fact, the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, is now a film that will be coming out in theaters on November 16, 2001.

Starring as Harry Potter is British actor Daniel Radcliffe, who starred as the young David Copperfield in the 1999 BBC production of the Charles Dickens classic. A co-star from this production as Betsey Trotwood, veteran actress Maggie Smith, plays Professor McGonagall in the film. You can expect Smith's naturally excellent performance to get her another Oscar.

Harry's friend Ron Weasley will be played by Rupert Grint, in his first role as a professional actor. Emma Watson, also previously unheard of, will play Hermione Granger, while their friend Neville Longbottom will be played by Matthew Lewis. Ron's brothers Fred and George Weasley will be played by brothers Oliver and James Phelps, and playing brother Percy will be Chris Rankin. Playing Harry's Quidditch team captain Oliver Wood is Sean Biggerstaff, while Draco Malfoy's hench-guys Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe will be played by Joshua Herdman and James Waylett, respectively. Out of all the students at Hogwarts, actor Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy seems to have the most previous professional acting experience, and can be seen in Anna and the King. In smaller roles as students will be Will Theakston as Marcus Flint, Emily Dale as Katie Bell, Scott Fearn as Terence Higgs, Katharine Nicholson as Pansy Parkinson, Bonnie Wright as Ginny Weasley, Alfie Enoch as Dean Thomas, and Devon Murray as Seamus Finnegan.

As head of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Albus Dumbledore will be brilliantly played by Richard Harris, who has acted several great roles, including Paddy O'Neill in Patriot Games and Marcus Aurelius in Gladiator. Alan Rickman will once again play a terrific bad guy as Harry's nemesis Professor Severus Snape, following his roles of the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Hans Gruber in Die Hard. The key role of Professor Quirrel will be carried by actor Ian Hart. Also on the Hogwarts staff are Madame Hooch (Zoe Wanamaker), Argus Filch the caretaker (David Bradley, Blow Dry), and Professor Flitwick (Verne Troyer).

Playing Harry's friend and Hogwarts gamekeeper Rubeus Hagrid is Robbie Coltrane, of the James Bond films The World is Not Enough and GoldenEye. Richard Griffiths and Fiona Shaw are sure to bring much frustration and angst to Harry's life as Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia, his only living relatives along with their son Dudley Dursley played by Harry Melling. The Weasley matriarch Molly will be played by Julie Walters. Harry's dead parents, James and Lily Potter are played by Adrian Rawlins and Geraldine Somerville, while his owl Hedwig will be played by Ook the Snowy Owl.

John Cleese of Monty Python fame plays Nearly Headless Nick in what is sure to be a smashing performance. Peeves the Poltergeist will be played by Rik Mayall, while Leslie Phillips of Tomb Raider will be the voice of the Sorting Hat. In a smaller role, actor John Hurt, star of Love and Death on Long Island, will play Mr. Ollivander, the man who gives Harry his first wand.

Directing is Chris Columbus, whose other accomplishments include Home Alone and Mrs. Doubtfire. The screenplay was written by Steven Kloves, who also wrote the screenplay for the Michael Douglas/Tobey Maguire film Wonder Boys. The score for this film was written by veteran composer John Williams, whose award-winning themes include those from Star Wars, Superman, Saving Private Ryan, and Jaws.

In addition to the movie, watch for J. K. Rowling's next Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. After the thrilling ending of book number 4, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, this one's sure to be flying off the shelves to be devoured by hungry readers everywhere...