Instead of leaving work on time Friday night I stayed to help two middle aged women. While one of the women was trying on a pair of oiled leather boots she asked if I had ever heard of National Pedorthic Services. The woman asked if I had a business card, she also told me that I should come and work for NPS. Man trying on shoes is a fictional story about some customers I wanted to remember. At the time I was annoyed with the guy who let his kids tear up the store but my patience paid off when he sent a friend of his back to see me.

People respond positively to energy, excitement and enthusiasm which are three things I bring to the sales floor. Friday night I was tired, I was hungry, I wanted to go home and I did not want to be listening to two overweight women chatting about their teenage daughters. Because I stayed to help I made some money for myself, I generated income for our store, possibly I will get a new job but if not this has still been a valuable lesson for me.

Had I chosen to go home when I was scheduled to I wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet someone who is in a position to help me. Negativity is everwhere. Successs at my job means being able to turn that attitude around so every customer has a positive shoe experience. When you meet a stranger you may not know what they can do to help you therefore it makes sense to treat others the way you'd like to be treated. Respect is an investment in other people. Don't be surprised when the dividends come back to you.