AvantGo doesn't sound, at first, like something that would be terribly useful: you select a few pre-packaged channels from a limited selection of Web sites, download skinny text versions of them to your Palm handheld, and read them on it's dinky little 160x160 screen. This is exactly why it wasn't the first thing I downloaded for my own Palm IIIxe (my favorite Christmas present this year).

But once I tried it, I was absurdly fascinated. I've got channels of my favorite news sources: CNet, The Motley Fool, Yahoo!, and ZDNet, with FoxNews thrown in for good measure. Yahoo! is by far the best, because it automatically connects to my My Yahoo! account and downloads customized news feeds, weather, stock market results, and movie theater times.

It's not the whole Internet, but it's more portable than a newspaper and is completely customizable, too. I can go home after work and read the evening news, look up movie showtimes, and see how badly my former employer is doing in the NASDAQ. There's even a MapBlast channel so I can download maps and driving directions without needing to keep a printout. All this on a handheld which is easier to carry than a newspaper and faster than a dial-up modem.

If I had a wireless modem for my Palm, or had one of the more expensive ones with wireless connectivity built-in, I could surf the up-to-the-minute versions of those sites as well. But that's usually overkill, especially after business hours. The five channels I have are plenty to satisfy the information junkie in me. (I'd probably only want wireless Internet if I could surf Everything on it, anyways.)