I saw the writeup that you intended for me.

A friend of a friend told me that there was something you wanted to tell me, but for some reason, couldn't say it to my face. They told me about this Web site where you could write anything you wanted and that you'd written a sort of a letter to me. They told me how to find it. I went and looked.

And I don't understand. Why didn't you just send it to me?

Why did you have to put all of that online for the entire world to read? Why did you publish it anonymously to the world, but you couldn't write it out with a signature and give it to me? Why did you shout those words out into the ether for everyone to hear except the one person who knew what they would mean?

I don't understand.

What was everyone else supposed to get out of your letter to me, but not to me? Did you want them to know that you had something to say, but didn't know how to say it? Were you seeking advice, in some strange and unspoken way, about how to approach me with these words in the right way?

Or were you just wearing your emotions on your sleeve, letting everyone but me know that you had something to get off your chest?

I don't know what to think. Perhaps you did this out of cowardice, or self-aggrandizement, or indignation or frustration or narcissism. Perhaps none of it was true, and you were just flexing your poetic muscles. Perhaps it was all just sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I just wish I knew for sure.

But I'll bet I'm not the only one who does.