The First Principle

In the Zen tradition, any art form (and anything else for that matter) is considered to be capable of revealing the degree of 'mindfulness' of the artist, and their ability to accord spontaneously with both their own nature and the nature and character of the materials used.

Carved in large letters above the gate of Obaku temple in Kyoto are the words "The First Principle". Those who appreciate calligraphy consider the lettering to be a masterpiece, but the story of their creation is appreciated just as much.

The letters were first sketched on paper, then carved into wood. The story goes that Kosen, the Zen master who made the original sketches, was watched and constantly criticized by the student whose job it was to mix the calligraphy ink. Each time Kosen sketched the letters, the student would proclaim the result to be unsatisfactory.

Kosen patiently wrote out the words "The First Principle" again and again, and each time the student dismissed the result, until there were eighty-four rejected attempts. Fortunately, at this point the student stepped outside for a moment, and Kosen saw his opportunity. Quickly, and with a mind free of distraction, Kosen wrote, "The First Principle".

The student returned and saw Kosen's latest attempt. "A masterpiece", he declared.

Those truly familiar with Zen stories will know not to look for a simplistic moral or a straightforward lesson here, however tempting that may seem. Still, perhaps it does go some way towards illustrating which way you should move your brush when doing Japanese calligraphy.


Adapted from the account in "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones" by Paul Reps