n. 1. Any interruption in the course of criminal activity, as the result of police intervention, or by the presence of bystanders, the sounding of an alarm, etc. “We got out of the joint after the score (robbery) clean (undetected), but I got a rumble from the prowl-car (patrol car) dicks (detectives).”

2. Press and radio reports of a crime; any general alarm raised against criminals or criminal activity. “A tough beef (clamor) on the trick (about the robbery), Joe. The rumble’s got the heat (intensified police activity).”

3. Recognition, especially of a suspect by a complainant viewing a police line-up; a greeting.

4. Notice taken of a place, thing, or event.

5. A thought; consideration.

6. A general complaint or report to authorities.



v. 1. To interrupt the execution of a crime by mere discovery, by raising an outcry, or by physical violence. “Some stiff (loiterer) rumbled the come-off (criminal act) and raised a beef (an alarm)."

2. To awaken to the fact that one is being victimized. “Duke was reefing the sucker (picking the victim’s pocket) when he rumbled. What a tumul (uproar)! It was murder (awful).”

3. To publicize or broadcast as a means of spurring police activity.

4. To show signs of recognition, as a victim about to identify a criminal in the police line-up or court. “The rapper (complainant) rumbled, but I knew he wouldn’t finger (formally identify) me ‘cause he had the chill (a scare) put on him.”

5. To view or note with suspicion.

6. To recognize; to greet or hail; to have relations with; to pay attention to.

7. To complain to police; to instigate police activity against the underworld.

8. To engage a policeman or a bystander in conversation during the commission of a crime by one’s accomplice.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950