Almost any moment can do it, cause such strong emotion that you cry or at least the feeling of tears behind your eyes and the tightness in your throat. It's those moments you stop for a minute - from rushing to work or home or the store or the bank - you stop and you look around you, and you forget that your bills are late, that you've lost most of your dreams, that you haven't had a good night's sleep in years. You forget all of that and you stop and you just see something, anything.

The way a 2-year-old girl grabs her father's hand, huge and strong in her tiny palm and holds onto it tightly because she knows he's there to protect her, and she trusts him completely. The kind of trust she'll only have for a few more years yet, and as the harshness of the world gets to her she'll lose that trust and she'll stop grabbing for her daddy's hand and she'll enclose herself within walls that were never meant to really be there. But it's okay, because right then she does trust him and she holds his hand and you can see it in her big brown eyes.

Or that couple that walks down the street, the couple you would normally make faces at and vomitting sounds because they're so disgustingly in love. But at that moment it isn't disgusting. They see nothing but each other. You can see it in their touch, in their glances, in their shy kind of laughs, where every look and touch still means something.

The way your hand looks when you really look at it, every curve and line. The way your palm is always lighter than the rest of your skin and softer. and the lines are getting deeper and more defined with age. Just watching your hands move over the keyboard, fluidly and natural, or wave through the air slowly.

I close my eyes to the music, inclining my head ever so slightly with the lights off and the candles burning. The music is playing, probably Tori Amos or Radiohead, and I can feel every beat pulse through my body. When the music slows down my breathing follows, when it speeds up I can feel it in my chest and I hold my eyes tightly together and nothing but the music can be thought or heard. But I'm crying and it's not because my heart was broken again or because I failed another test, I'm crying because despite the f*cked up crap in the world there's moments like that when it doesn't even matter because you realize there's also so much beauty. And it touches you and you can feel it and you're connected to something and it's an urgent kind of feeling within you that turns into a calm acceptance.

It just hits you now and then, if you stop and look around, or stop and close your eyes and just sit still. It doesn't matter, look up at a friend and really look, really listen, really touch. And it makes you cry.