A journalist who went from being an actual reporter during the Second World War to one of the most iconic talking heads or anchormen of the mid 1950s to the 1970s news programs. During this period of time he weilded the power of unquestioned trust. There were bad, bad things going on and he told us about them. He was a revered uncle to the viewing masses. His disapproving look into the camera, the hush his voice might take on, an arch of a brow told us what the news meant. Where were you when Kennedy was shot? Walt was crying like a girlyman into the camera. Where were you when America fulfilled JFKs edict to put a man on the moon? Walt was bursting with pride. When he spoke of the day's bodycount during the Vietnam War it was touching, yet dignified. Just the right touch. I think that he retired in the 1980s, but i'm not sure. Everything lost grandeur by the mid 1970s and anchormen were not exempt. TV journalists could no longer function as the magified conscience of a nation. So then they became celebrities, just like all of their fellow actors.

Editors Note:

In June 2009, Cronkite was reported to be terminally ill. He died on July 17, 2009, at his home in New York City, at the age of 92.