British Parliamentary University Debating is a form of debating which is similar to the debates in the British Parliament (hence the name). This form of debating is very popular in universities especially Cambridge and Oxford. The Cambridge Union and the Oxford Union are two very active debating teams which win a lot of their debates (though not all the time).

The Basics

You have to teams, the opposition and the proposition. These two teams are then subdivided into two more sections. The first proposition team, the second proposition team, the first opposition team and the second opposition team. Each team is given the motion for the debate at the beginning and then they are allowed 15 minutes to prepare their speeches. After each speech there might be a brief break to allow the teams to gather their thoughts.

The proposition team has to agree to the motion made by the House and must attempt to persuade the audience (and the judges/Chairman) that their position is the better one. The opposition has to do the opposite and refute everything that the proposition says. Motions can be as general as

'This house believes that everyone should speak the same language.'
to
'This House believes that the Church of England should be disestablished.'
The first proposition should make the debate specific by announcing their policy on the matter. Many debates are bad purely because of the lack of specifics that the proposition puts forward. This leads to the opposition having nothing to oppose of any strength (and the prop having nothing to argue with). In the former case, the proposition could say:
'We believe that everyone should speak English when carrying out international affairs such as business meetings and international conferences. We would do this by......'
This distinction of what the proposition means allows the opposition to attack the proposition and the proposition to alter/argue their case accordingly. This can lead to some very enlightening and entertaining debates.

The last two speakers from each side do what's called The Summation. The summation is a summary of what each side has said during the debate but with a spin to make you're side seem the winners. No new points are brought in at this stage since the other team will not have a chance to refute it in full (which just isn't cricket). The summation is seen by some as very difficult because getting the right spin on the arguments to make the opposition seem poor and your side seem good is difficult especially without being rude. It is also compounded by the problem that the other team will make a summation speech as well which should say the same thing as yours but with a different spin on it. Trying to throw this off is difficult (I personally like doing the very first speech, the opening speech for the proposition).

Anyway, each person speaks for about 5 minutes (though this can vary depending on what people want to do). The beginning minute and the end minute are protected time. This protected time are to allow the speech maker to make their introduction and conclusion to their speech without getting interrupted with Points of Information. Though debates can get rather heated you must be polite throughout! No personal insulting of the opposition! If you are not polite the Chairman/judge can (and will) make your team lose by default.

To impress the judges/Chairman you must show a deep understanding of the topic and be able to analyse arguments quickly and efficiently. You also need a good grasp of rhetoric to be able to persuade. The odd joke can't go amiss either as long as you don't spend the whole of your speech making wise cracks and not persuading (jokes must also be polite and not coarse/politically incorrect).


I hope to get around to putting more info down on the work of the proposition/opposition and some points of style of speeches but that will have to wait.