The '32X' is an add-on module for the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis, developed by Sega in 1994 (under the code name 'Project Mars' - a planetary project title that for once isn't apocryphal) as a stop-gap to allow the substantial user base of 16-bit Sega Mega Drive to play cartridge-based 32-bit games (without having to shell out the $299 estimated cost of an all-new 32-bit, CD-based system) in the interim period before the Sega Saturn was brought to market. The machine was released in November 1994 in the United States (as the Genesis 32X), reaching Europe (Mega 32X) and Japan (Super 32X) in the following year.

The 32X device is shaped rather like a wide, squat, black mushroom. It plugs into the cartridge port on top of the Mega Drive model 1 or 2. Setting up the device is surprisingly not a simple case of 'plug and play'. Hooked metal brackets must first be attached to the Mega Drive's cartridge port (to shield radio interference). The Mega Drive's AV OUT must be connected via a pass-through cable to an input port on the back of the 32X so that standard Mega Drive games can be played through the 32X. (The Mega Drive models 1 and 2 have different-shaped AV OUTs, so the passthrough cable comes in two parts.) The 32X also requires its own mains adaptor. (It should also be mentioned that you can't plug a Power Base Converter into a 32X. Well, you can plug it in but it won't work. It says so in the manual.) The 32X can also interoperate with the Sega CD / Mega CD add-on if it is present, allowing for games to be released on CD-ROM with enhancements such as higher quality FMV. (Very few CD-ROM 32X games were released.)

The 32X radically enhances the graphic and sonic capabilities of the Sega Mega Drive. The palette is expanded to 32,768 simultaneous colours (no increase is made to the display resolution), and two additional PCM channels are mixed with the Mega Drive's existing sound channels. The machine also provided an additional 512kb of RAM. The 32X's twin 23Mhz Hitachi SH-2 processors (capable of 40 MIPS) puts these expanded resources to good use. The 32X is capable of drawing 50,000 textured polygons per second (don't laugh...) as well as hardware scaling and rotation.

By way of comparison, the 32X is significantly more powerful, by any measure, than the Super Nintendo (Super FX chip or otherwise- compare Virtua Racing Deluxe to Stunt Race FX, or the system's respective versions of DooM), but rather less powerful than the Sega Saturn or the Sony PlayStation. Most of the games supported the six-button joypad.

The 32X software library is rather small (fewer than 30 titles made it to market in any territory), but still manages to boast a handful of high quality games. Virtua Racing Deluxe and Virtua Fighter (reputedly developed by AM2 themselves) were very enjoyable adaptations of the hit Model 1 arcade games from a couple of years before. Star Wars Arcade was a 3D arcade port in a similar vein, and was intended as the machine's flagship launch title, although it has dated very badly. Inexplicably, arcade-perfect versions of the ancient After Burner and Space Harrier were also released, at a lower price point. (These would really only be of interest to completists, their simple gameplay and dated graphics being shallow fare without the hydraulic cabinets of the arcade originals.) As a technical showcase, Sega also commissioned a port of Id Software's DooM, which, although it shows signs of having been rushed, is surprisingly enjoyable.

Sega's original titles on the machine were of variable quality, with most being partially disguised rehashes of existing Mega Drive titles. Kolibri was a hummingbird-based shooter modelled after Ecco the Dolphin. Knuckles Chaotix was the system's Sonic game (without Sonic as a playable character). Cosmic Carnage was a clunky 2D fighting game of the kind that continues to clutter the second hand bins of game stores. Metal Head (much lauded at the time) is a first person mech game, rather like an early forerunner to Phantom Crash. Stellar Assault and Zaxxon Motherbase provided the machine with two different (and graphically impressive) takes on polygonal space shooting.

Electronic Arts (FIFA 96), Acclaim (NBA JAM TE, Mortal Kombat 2), and Core Design (B.C. Racers, Soul Star X) put out respectable third party offerings for the 32X. (All the games mentioned are reworkings of 16-bit originals, and are the best home versions of those titles.) Digital Pictures put out retooled versions of some of their FMV-based Sega CD games (Fahrenheit, Corpse Killer, Night Trap) for the 32X/CD gaming jackalope. Two rare and notable titles for the machine are Darxide (Frontier Developments) and Blackthorne (Blizzard). A great many titles were canned before they could be brought to market, mainly enhanced Mega Drive titles. The list of 32X games that the public never got to play includes Virtua Hamster, Alien Trilogy, a new Castlevania game, and an X-Men game that was reportedly received very favourably at trade shows.

The 32X unfortunately turned out to be an expensive flop. It came out too late (its lifespan sharply curtailed by the unforeseen rush to bring the Sega Saturn to market to compete with the Sony PlayStation), at too high a price point and with very limited software support (Sega's internal software divisions were understandably more concerned with Sega Saturn projects, and third party publishers, although initially enthusiastic, cancelled most of their 32X projects by late 1995 due to poor hardware sales). In the United States, the 32X suffered an early blow in the vital Christmas retail period, in the shape of Nintendo's Donkey Kong Country, a dazzling platform game that suggested to consumers that there was still life left in plain old 16-bit systems, which were comparitively cheaply priced.

The 32X can now be emulated highly accurately with the versatile Gens emulator. (The assorted processors involved result in this emulation needing a considerably faster PC than emulation of a plain old Mega Drive or SNES.)

SEGA of America's add-on peripheral to bring the Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive into the 32-bit era. Originally conceived as an upgrade path between the Genesis/Mega drive + Sega CD combination and the upcoming SEGA Saturn, SEGA of America, who developed the console, decided this was not feasible, and planned to release it as a stand alone system. It featured 2 hitachi SH2 processors (The SEGA Saturn used the downward compatible SH1) and 4Mbits (thats 512k) RAM.

The 32X launched without any games to play on it. That was a predictor of things to come. in the end, only 31 cartriges and 5 CDs were ever produced for this system. many of them were very good, however, and can be had cheaply in the used market.

the author reccomends:

Kolibiri

Space harrier

Afterburner

Virtua Fighter

Shadow Squadron

blackthorne

Knuckles Chaotix

Spider Man: Web of Fire (incidentally, the last game released)



avoid at all costs:

Doom(after playing the PC version, you can't go back to this washed out non full screen version)

night trap(CD)(the best version of night trap. of course, thats like saying 'the most comfortable unanesthetized root canal with a dull butter knife ever')

Also, it should be noted, the 32x is the last of the long line of SEGA stacked consoles - the 32X was an extension of the Genesis/Mega Drive, which was an extension of the Master System/Mark III, which was an extension of the SC-3000, which was an extension of the SG-1000. with the right Adaptor, you can play SG-1000 games on your 32X.the SEGA Saturn started a new lineage.

Push your Genesis to the Extreme!

You've already got the coolest 16-bit videogaming system ever, right? Now take the next step up to the universe of 32X, the only 32-bit upgrade for the Sega Genesis system. Faster action. Hammering graphics. And an endless stream of the hottest new graphics that only Sega can bring to you. And if 32X can do this for your Sega Genesis, imagine what it can do for your SEGA CD

--Sega advertisement pimping the 32x, dated 1994

http://www.sega.com/segascream/legacy/32x_bonus1_ad.jpg

The 32X was the second (and last) upgrade for the Genesis console. The idea behind the 32x was that it would be a stepping stone between the Genesis and the Saturn; Sega's Saturn wasn't quite ready to be launched yet, so Sega decided to push the 32x as an alternative. Revealed June 2, 1994, the 32X held the interest of some developers - Acclaim, Interplay, Midway being the big names among others.

However, when the 32x was launched in November 1994, a sense that the 32x would flop was apparent when there were no games available - not even an included game!. Sega put a few games on store shelves a couple of days later, but developer support dropped rapidly when it became apparent that making a game for the 32x was an unprofitable venture - nobody had the system! The Japan and European launches of the 32x were met with largely the same indifference.

Phyisically, the 32X was a 'T' shaped thing with the lower end plugging into the Genesis. Genesis and 32x cartridges were placed in the top, and Sega CD-32x hybrid CD games were placed in the Sega CD's tray/slot) Officially, the Sega 32X is incompatible with the portable Genesis-SegaCD combo CDX, but the 32X works just the same in this model.

Sega repeatedly insisted that it would support the 32x even after the Saturn was released, but by then, people had moved on to the hot, new exciting Playstation! Sega finally canned the monstrosity in 1996, with the ever-forgettable game Spiderman: Web of Fire

As a testament to the attitude of developers towards the 32x, I present to you this list of the games actually released in the United States.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/32x/file/sega_32x.txt

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.