In the Star Wars universe, the B-Wing bomber is used by the Rebels, aka Alliance as a replacement for the Y-Wing.

A B-Wing fighter is relatively slow, but can hold many missiles, and it has strong shields and hull. It also has 3 ion cannons, which are useful for disabling enemy ships of interest.

When dogfighting is expected, the B-Wing is usually supported with X-Wings and/or A-Wings.

B-wings are heavy attack fighters, analogous in role to the Imperial Assault Gunboat (not in the films, I'll grant you, but I'm trying to give people a frame of reference. Ever play TIE fighter? Well why not??). They are only lopsided in their folded position. When their S-foils are open, they look completely different, rather like a cross with a blob on the top and a fat pile of engines. For a good picture, see http://starreacher99.tripod.com/picture/B-wing.html.

The B-wing name stands for blade wing (not bomber wing as often thought), referring to its dagger-like appearance. It was commissioned by the rebel alliance to combat the introduction of Nebulon-B frigates by the Empire. The Alliance at this time had no medium cruisers, could not spare the Mon Calimari cruisers from their more pressing front-line duties. Thus a heavy strike fighter, armed with both lasers and ion cannons, as well as a heavy warhead loadout, was designed. However, less favourable to the B-wing is its low speed (comparable to a Y-wing) and its low manouverability. On the other hand, its high levels of shielding and strong hull offset this disadvantage.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.