the national park of Blå Jungfrun

go back to National Parks of Sweden

Number twelve of the national parks of Sweden chronologically, designated by the government in 1926 and expanded in 1988, the national park of Blå Jungfrun is an island of 0.46 square kilometers (0.18 square miles), located in Kalmar sund, a strait between the mainland of southern Sweden and Öland, the nation's second largest island. Included in the park are also the surrounding waters, giving the park a total area of 1.98 square kilometers (0.76 square miles).

Located in the northern end of this Baltic strait, the island is exposed to harsh weather conditions, especially during winter. Most of its main features can be attributed to ice, strong winds and water. Although the summers are famously sunny in this part of Sweden, they can also be quite windy, and the island is in a very exposed location.

The north side of the island consists mainly of granite rock, smoothly polished and with some interesting features including crevices and caves created by the elements and only a few pine trees, while the lower south side features a dense hardwood forest.

The mysticism of the island has appealed to Swedes for centuries. To this day, the local government regularly receives letters returning rocks stolen from the park from senders claiming the rocks have brought them bad luck.

The name Blå Jungfrun means the Blue Virgin in Swedish, and probably derives from the bluish appearance of her rocks when seen from land on either sides. The island is also famous under the name of Blåkulla, the destination for all witches on Maundy Thursday according to tradition. The origins of this name is unclear. Some theories indicate that blå initially referred to a darker color, even black; the traditional color of evil. There is no evidence to support that the island has ever been inhabited, by witches or otherwise.

The park is accessible by boat from Oskarshamn on the mainland and from Byxelkrok on Öland when the weather allows it. A marked trail runs around the western side of the island to its top.

Aside from the forest, several hundred species of lichen thrive here. A few bats live in the park, as well as a few rabbits that have migrated across the ice. The most characteristic bird of the park is the black guillemot, Cepphus Grylle, although the area is increasingly plagued by the cormorant, Phalacrocorax Carbo.

Following is a translation of the conditions governing the national park of Blå Jungfrun. I am neither a lawyer, nor a translator. This is for educational purposes only. Do not blame me if you get in trouble, yada, yada. The conditions translated into the text below apply only to Blå Jungfrun. Other national parks have other conditions specified for them.


Public notice with conditions regarding the national park of BLÅ JUNGFRUN; SNFS (1987:7)

Latest entered change SNFS 1990:3 (Reprint)

Supported by 4 § of the national park ordinance (1987:938), the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency announces the following conditions for the national park according to 5 § second section of the environmental protection act (1964:822).

Within the national park it is forbidden to

The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency can - if special circumstances are present - announce exceptions from given restrictions.

Further, it is prohibited without the permission of the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency to

Without hindrance by the above prohibitions, it is permissible

Passing into law

SNFS 1987:20

This public notice will pass into law two weeks after the day the notice according to information stated on it is released from printing. (Released from printing January 31, 1990.)


Information synthesized from www.environ.se.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.