Bush: A slang term for the uninhabited wilderness of Alaska. This is something of a paradox because the bush is mostly covered with lots of very large trees and contains very little actual bush. Go figure.

What you will find in the bush is alot of trees, some very large mountains including Denali. You will also find bears, moose, and caribou. Scattered throughout the bush you will also find alot of abandoned mines and mining towns. A few of these small towns still have a small permanent population, of weirdo hermits.

Bush is a pop/rock band, highly mainstream. Bush is: Gavin Rossdale (vocals/guitar), Nigel Pulsford (guitar), Dave Parsons (bass), and Robin Goodridge (drums). They came together in England and produced their first album, Sixteen Stone in 1994. Two years later, Razorblade Suitcase was released and in 1999, The Science of Things was released. Most people who were fans of the band two years ago have seriously reconsidered their taste in music and moved away from the band and their experiments with synthesizers. Many people think that Razorblade Suitcase was a blatant ripoff of Nirvana's In Utero. Many people like Bush only because they think Gavin Rossdale is a "dreamboat". I liked them because I secretly lusted after Nigel Pulsford's Fender Stratocaster. Bah! Forget Swallowed... listen to that guitar solo in Comedown and tell me you don't think it's a crime for that guitar to be in his hands. He only knows 3 different chords! That should be considered child abuse. Now let's go outside and play frisbee with The Science of Things CD.

In meteorology, a bush is the debris cloud formed at the base of a funnel cloud.

"Because we're free from any constraints. At the end of the day, the best thing that we can do is just be fucking great." - Gavin Rossdale

Bush are: Robin Goodridge: Drums Dave Parsons: Bass Gavin Rossdale: Guitar, Vocals Nigel Pulsford: Guitar Winston: dog

When the members of Bush came together in 1992 they had grown sick of the music scene in Britain at the time. They had been weaned on punk and bands such as The Pixies and Bob Marley. Rossdale had already fronted various bands and released singles with bands such as Midnight, Parsons had been working with glam act Transvision Vamp, Goodbridge was doing session work and recording with The Beautiful People and Pulsford had been gigging as part of King's Blank.

The name of the band comes from the area where they started writing - Shepard's Bush. They have always been supported by Gavin's dog - Winston, a mass of fur with a cold, wet nose. Winston can been seen on the inside sleeve of Sixteen Stone.

Bush were one of the first British bands to make it big in America after the Nirvana / grunge era caved in on itself. They used the same methods to write songs that were clearly inspired by the same elements that had spawned the grunge music before it. With crashing guitars and well written lyrics, Bush have always remained slightly apart from the majority of British bands.

They have released five albums (Deconstructed is a remix album) and have had chart successes from all of the studio albums, with Machinehead, Comedown and Swallowed being the best known.

Gavin has had a stormy relationship with the singer of No Doubt - Gwen Stefani, although at the time of writing they are together and happy. CloudStrife reminds me that the couple were married recently.

Sixteen Stone (1994)

  1. Everything Zen
  2. Swim
  3. Bomb
  4. Little Things
  5. Comedown
  6. Body
  7. Machinehead
  8. Testosterone
  9. Monkey
  10. Glycerine
  11. Alien
  12. X-Girlfriend

Razorblade Suitcase (1996)

  1. Personal Holloway
  2. Greedy Fly
  3. Swallowed
  4. Insect Kin
  5. Cold Contagious
  6. A Tendency To Start Fires
  7. Mouth
  8. Straight No Chaser
  9. History
  10. Synapse
  11. Communicator
  12. Bonedriven
  13. Distant Voices

Deconstructed (1996)

  1. Everything Zen (Lhasa Fever Mix)
  2. Mouth (Stingray Mix)
  3. Swallowed (Goldie/Toasted Both Sides Please Mix)
  4. Synapse (Philip Steir/My Ghost In The Bush Of Life Mix)
  5. History (Dub Pistols Mix)
  6. Personal Holloway (Fabio Paras/Soundclash Republic Mix)
  7. Bonedriven (Mekon/Beat Me Clever Mix)
  8. Insect Kin (Jack Dangers/Drum and Bees Mix)
  9. Comedown (Lunatic Calm Mix)
  10. Everything Zen (Derek DeLarge Mix)
  11. In A Lonely Place (Tricky Mix)

The Science of things (1999)

  1. Warm Machine
  2. Jesus Online
  3. The Chemicals Between Us
  4. English Fire
  5. Spacetravel
  6. 40 Miles From The Sun
  7. Prizefighter
  8. The Disease Of Dancing Cats
  9. Altered States
  10. Dead Meat
  11. Letting The Cables Sleep
  12. Mindchanger

Golden State (2001) - produced by Dave Sardy (Marilyn Manson, System Of A Down)

  1. Solutions
  2. Headful of Ghosts
  3. The People That We Love
  4. Superman
  5. Fugitive
  6. Hurricane
  7. Inflatable
  8. Reasons
  9. Land of the Living
  10. My Engine is With You
  11. Out of This World
  12. Float

Bush (?), n. [OE. bosch, busch, buysch, bosk, busk; akin to D. bosch, OHG. busc, G. busch, Icel. bskr, bski, Dan. busk, Sw. buske, and also to LL. boscus, buscus, Pr. bosc, It. bosco, Sp. & Pg. bosque, F. bois, OF. bos. Whether the LL. or G. form i the original is uncertain; if the LL., it is perh. from the same source as E. box a case. Cf. Ambush, Boscage, Bouquet, Box a case.]

1.

A thicket, or place abounding in trees or shrubs; a wild forest.

⇒ This was the original sense of the word, as in the Dutch bosch, a wood, and was so used by Chaucer. In this sense it is extensively used in the British colonies, especially at the Cape of Good Hope, and also in Australia and Canada; as, to live or settle in the bush.

2.

A shrub; esp., a shrub with branches rising from or near the root; a thick shrub or a cluster of shrubs.

To bind a bush of thorns among sweet-smelling flowers. Gascoigne.

3.

A shrub cut off, or a shrublike branch of a tree; as, bushes to support pea vines.

4.

A shrub or branch, properly, a branch of ivy (as sacred to Bacchus), hung out at vintners' doors, or as a tavern sign; hence, a tavern sign, and symbolically, the tavern itself.

If it be true that good wine needs no bush, 't is true that a good play needs no epilogue. Shak.

5. Hunting

The tail, or brush, of a fox.

To beat about the bush, to approach anything in a round-about manner, instead of coming directly to it; -- a metaphor taken from hunting. -- Bush bean Bot., a variety of bean which is low and requires no support (Phaseolus vulgaris, variety nanus). See Bean, 1. -- Bush buck, or Bush goat Zool., a beautiful South African antelope (Tragelaphus sylvaticus); -- so called because found mainly in wooden localities. The name is also applied to other species. -- Bush cat Zool., the serval. See Serval. -- Bush chat Zool., a bird of the genus Pratincola, of the Thrush family. -- Bush dog. Zool. See Potto. -- Bush hammer. See Bushhammer in the Vocabulary. -- Bush harrow Agric. See under Harrow. -- Bush hog Zool., a South African wild hog (Potamocherus Africanus); -- called also bush pig, and water hog. -- Bush master Zool., a venomous snake (Lachesis mutus) of Guinea; -- called also surucucu. -- Bush pea Bot., a variety of pea that needs to be bushed. -- Bush shrike Zool., a bird of the genus Thamnophilus, and allied genera; -- called also batarg. Many species inhabit tropical America. -- Bush tit Zool., a small bird of the genus Psaltriparus, allied to the titmouse. P. minimus inhabits California.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bush (?), v. i.

To branch thickly in the manner of a bush.

"The bushing alders."

Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bush, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bushed (); p. pr. & vb.n. Bushing.]

1.

To set bushes for; to support with bushes; as, to bush peas.

2.

To use a bush harrow on (land), for covering seeds sown; to harrow with a bush; as, to bush a piece of land; to bush seeds into the ground.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bush, n. [D. bus a box, akin to E. box; or F. boucher to plug.]

1. Mech.

A lining for a hole to make it smaller; a thimble or ring of metal or wood inserted in a plate or other part of machinery to receive the wear of a pivot or arbor. Knight.

⇒ In the larger machines, such a piece is called a box, particularly in the United States.

2. Gun.

A piece of copper, screwed into a gun, through which the venthole is bored.

Farrow.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bush, v. t.

To furnish with a bush, or lining; as, to bush a pivot hole.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.