The best coffee cake around. Feel free to substitute canned fillings if you don't feel like making your own.

Sour Cherry Filling

1 quart of sour cherries
sugar
water

Wash and pit the cherries. Place in a saucepan, with the sugar and a bit of water. You want enough sugar to have a sweet filling, but still maintain tartness. The amount of sugar will vary depending on the sourness of the cherries, and your own preference. Simmer until the filling has cooked down.

Poppy Seed Filling

1/2 lb ground poppy seeds
water
1/2 pt milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbs butter

Cook poppy seeds until the last water is clean. Grind through a food chopper.

Put all ingredients in saucepan and cook over slow fire until real thick stirring constantly to prevent burning. When thick remove from the heat and cool.

Dough

3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbl sugar
1 egg
3 tbl shortening
3 cups flour
1 pkg dry active yeast

In a saucepan, scald the milk, add the shortening, sugar, and salt.

When the mixture is lukewarm add the yeast, egg, and flour. Mix until a soft dough is formed.

Knead the dough for 10 minutes, cover, and let rise until double.

Roll the dough into a rectangle 11 x 15, spread with a filling and the dough up lengthwise. Cover and let rise about an hour.

Bake at 300°F for 30 minutes. Let cool, drizzle with a powdered sugar glaze, and sprinkle with chopped nuts.

Christmas Wreath Coffee Cake

Batter

1.5 cups, sifted cake flour
2.5 teaspoons, baking powder
1/2 teaspoon, salt
3/4 cup, sugar
1/3 cup, melted shortening
1/2 cup, milk
1 teaspoon, vanilla
1 egg, beaten slightly

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir all at once into flour mixture, just until blended.

Streusel

1/2 cup, firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons, flour
3/4 teaspoon, cinnamon
2 tablespoons, shortening

Combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Drop small pieces of shortening into dry mixture and mix until crumbly.

Preheat oven to 375°. Place half of streusel in a greased one-quart ring mold or bundt pan and top with half of batter. Repeat layers. Bake for about 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Invert on a wire rack and let cool. Drizzle with confectioners glaze. Decorate as desired with Christmas decorations. Makes one cake.

This is a traditional treat my mom made for brunch Christmas morning. We would bring it with us when we went visiting, and it was always a big hit. Goes great with coffee as you might imagine.

Irish Coffee Cake

This Irish Coffee Cake recipe is probably the best cake I have ever eaten. Seriously. It turns out so moist, and not too sweet... just perfect. Think of a medium-heavy cake, with the taste of coffee and just barely a bite of alcohol. That is this cake.

The Irish Coffee Cake is a recipe inspired by Irish coffee: strong coffee and good Irish whiskey. It is the perfect cake to go with an evening coffee get-together.

What you will need:

Cake

Syrup

  • 2/3 c. strong brewed coffee
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 3 tbsp. Irish whiskey

Topping

To start, butter an 8 inch ring pan and coat it well with flour. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Next, cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl; then, add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each one.

Now sift the flour and baking powder together; add approximately 2/3 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture along with the 2 tbsp. of coffee, mix, and add in the rest of the flour mixture.

Put your cake dough into the pan, and place into the oven for 35-40 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. When the cake is done, turn it onto a wire rack to cool.

To make the syrup, heat the sugar and the coffee together until the sugar has all dissolved, then boil rapidly for one minute. Remove the coffee mixture from the heat and stir in the Irish whiskey.

Wash the cake pan out thoroughly, and when the cake is completely cooled, return it to the pan.

Pour the syrup over the cake, and leave it to soak for 2-3 hours.

To make the topping, beat the whipped cream with the confectioners sugar and whiskey.

Turn the cake onto a serving dish and decorate with the topping. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts over the top.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.