A virus as famous as "Louie Louie". A late-70s hit for Chic - pretty much the same as the cookie-cutter material (however great) that enabled Chic to crossover from disco into Americana. But there was an undefinable something extra in the groove that Rodgers, Edwards (MVP!), and Thompson put together, since this song was pretty much unavoidable for the longest of (good) times, both in clubs and on the radio.

The groove later formed the basis of "Rapper's Delight", which put Sylvia Robinson's Sugar Hill Records on the map. I think the record had a re-recorded version of the groove - courtesy of the pool of session players who helped keep Sugar Hill on the map - but originally the rap was done to two turntables with the Chic 12" on it. Messrs. Rodgers and Edwards were not amused - they eventually sued (after some gangland-style "negotiation" by some of Sylvia's "friends") to get their proper writing credits, and won.

There were other copycats - Vaughn Mason's "Bounce Rock Skate" comes immediately to mind, but I don't think there was sufficient grounds (or popularity) for a lawsuit. And, of course, Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust".

In proper Chic fashion, it starts with the chorus...

"Good times, these are the good times
Leave your cares behind, these are the good times
Good times, these are the good times
Our new state of mind, these are the good times

Happy days are here again
The time is right for makin' friends
Let's get together, how 'bout a quarter to ten
Come tomorrow, let's all do it again

Boys will be boys, better let them have their toys
Girls will be girls, cute pony tails and curls
Must put an end to this stress and strife
I think I want to live the sporting life

Good times, these are the good times
Leave your cares behind, these are the good times
Good times, these are the good times
Our new state of mind, these are the good times

A rumor has it that it's getting late
Time marches on, just can't wait
The clock keeps turning, why hesitate
You silly fool, you can't change your fate
Let's cut the rug, a little jive and jitterbug
We want the best, we won't settle for less
Don't be a drag, participate
Clams on the half shell and roller skates...

Good times, these are the good times
Leave your cares behind, these are the good times
Good times, these are the good times
Our new state of mind, these are the good times"

-- Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, 1979, from Chic's Risqué LP.

An American TV show starting in 1974 (a spin-off of Maude), featuring the Evans family living in the black ghetto of some large city (I forget which one). The family consisted of mother Florida, father James (who died after about two years when actor John Amos was fired for supposedly being a disruptive influence; Amos says this was for fighting what the writers wanted to do with the show), youngest child Michael, teenage Thelma, and 18-year-old son J.J., who unexpectedly became the most popular character because of comedian Jimmie Walker's outrageous reactions and catchphrase "Dyn-O-Mite!"

The show was one of the first to bring up serious issues such as busing, gangs, racial prejudice and other things of concern to the U.S. in the 70s; some episodes (such as one where the family questions the appropriateness of questions on standardized tests like "cup and ___(saucer)" for lower-income children who wouldn't have cups and saucers to use together) were not shown by some stations. The comedy made it palatable, but the show's black actors and white writers had many tug-of-wars over which was the most important. The show lasted until a final episode in April 1979.

Good Times is short for Good Times Burgers and Frozen Custard, it is a fast food franchise located mainly in Colorado. The first Good Times restaurant was started in Boulder, Colorado in 1986. From this location, Good Times has expanded; there are now 35 locations in Colorado and one in Boise, Idaho. Currently, they have plans to expand to 50 locations in Colorado.

Good Times is atypical of most fast food restaurants in that, most locations do not have indoor seating. Usually, a Good Times restaurant is in a "double drive thru format". A typical Good Times will have two drive through lanes, one for pick up on the driver side of the car, one for the passenger side. In addition to this, there is a window where pedestrians may order their food. For those pedestrians, there are usually several picnic tables to dine at. It is important to note that this is the typical setup, some locations have indoor seating.

In July of 2003, Good Times made a very public change from the beef they had been using to Coleman Natural Beef. They publicized the fact that it would cost more money, but would be of a higher quality. One of the aspects of Coleman Natural Beef that Good Times capitalized on in their advertising was how Coleman Natural Meats raise their cattle without the use of hormones and antibiotics in a free range environment.

Something else that makes Good Times unique is their frozen custard. According to Good Times, their custard is superior to ice cream. They say, "Imagine the best ice cream ever and go up from there, it's thicker, creamier, dreamier." Currently, Good Times offers several different flavors of custard along with a "Flavor of the Day" program, in which various flavors are offered only one day. In the past, there have also been flavors of the months, usually themed around a proximate holiday For example, during October, they had a pumpkin pie flavor.

Citations:

What Makes Coleman Natural Beef® Different?. http://www.colemannatural.com/chart.html. Coleman Natural Meats. April 6, 2004.

Menu/Nutritional Info. http://www.goodtimesburgers.com/menu%20&%20nutritional%20Info.htm. Good Times Burgers and Frozen Custard. April 6, 2004.

Locations. http://www.goodtimesburgers.com/location.htm. Good Times Burgers and Frozen Custard. April 6, 2004.

Good Times Burgers http://www.restaurantmanager.net/goodtimes.htm. RestaurantManager.net. April 6, 2004.

Home. http://www.goodtimesburgers.com/home.htm. Good Times Burgers and Frozen Custard. April 6, 2004.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.