The second Doctor on the show Doctor Who.

Er... he often wore a large fur coat. Started the whole Doctor does physical comedy thing. Bounced around with Zoe (wolf whistle), Jamie (the best companion ever:), and assorted others.

There was a big, like 12 parts big, regeneration series for him that led to Jon Pertwee being stuck on Earth. Real cool multiple time zone war thing. A current whovian should elaborate.

Patrick Troughton was born in North London on March 25, 1920. He trained to be an actor from an early age, entering acting school in his teens. He joined a theater group in Long Island, New York. While there, World War II erupted, prompting Troughton's decision to return to England to fight. As his ship neared the port, it struck a mine and sunk, however he was able to board a life boat and survived.

After the war ended, he returned to acting, entering the then-new medium of television. He quickly established himself as a quality character actor, keeping himself busy with work over the next two decades.

In 1966, he was repeatedly called to ask if he would like to take over the lead role in the popular science fiction programme, Doctor Who. He initially refused, but the producers wouldn't take no for an answer. They kept offering him more money, which was useful, since, though he was a working actor, he was not wealthy by any means.

Pat was concerned about being typecast by the success of the show, so he deliberately acted in a manner very different from the screen personae he had portrayed previously. He was given creative freedom to develop the character as he saw fit, so he decided to play The Doctor as a sort of space hobo/clown, a very different style indeed from his predecessor, William Hartnell. Hartnell's Doctor was an old curmudgeon, and could sometimes be the anti-hero. Pat's was silly in demeanor, that bufoonery used to mask the conscientious genius he was. The world's first Timelord regeneration occurred during the first cybermen story, The Tenth Planet. The story is now lost, though the regeneration scene remains.

On the set, Troughton was known as a practical joker, though he himself could not stand to be the butt of the jokes. He played the lead role for 3 years, leaving the show as the stress of so many episodes got to be too great. His efforts to avoid being typecast worked, as he returned to being a working actor afterwards. He was always willing to return to the show for the special multi-Doctor stories, and made himself available to the convention circuit after seeing how the fans reacted to him following the 10th anniversary episode The Three Doctors. Ever cautious regarding typecasting, he refused to appear in UK conventions (with one exception). He died from a heart attack on March 28, 1987 during a convention in the United States.

I have enjoyed tremendously the episodes I have seen with him, and he said one of my favorite Doctor Who quotes in The Wheel in Space: (speaking to his companion, Zoe) "Logic, my dear Zoe, merely allows one to be wrong with authority".

Kurt Godel would be proud, I'm sure.

IMDB filmography:
Greatest Kids TV Shows, The (2001) (TV) (archive footage) .... The Doctor #2
Doctor Who: The Missing Years (1998) (V) (archive footage) .... The Doctor #2
Doctor Who: Thirty Years in the Tardis (1993) (TV) (archive footage) .... Himself
The Doctor#2
... aka Doctor Who: More Than Thirty Years In the Tardis (1993) (TV) (UK: video title)
"Resistance Is Futile" (1992) TV Series (archive footage) .... The Second Doctor
Doctor Who: The Troughton Years (1991) (V) (archive footage) .... The Doctor and Salamander
Doctor Who: Then and Now (1987) (TV) .... Himself
"Knights of God" (1987) TV Series .... Arthur
"Two of Us, The" (1986) TV Series .... Perce (1986)
Amy (1984) (TV) .... Lord Rpthermere
Box of Delights, The (1984) (TV) .... Cole Hawlings
Professor Wagstaff's Time Machine (1983)
Doctor Who: The Five Doctors (1983) (TV) .... The Second Doctor
"Foxy Lady" (1982) TV Series .... J. P. Schofield
"Edward & Mrs. Simpson" (1980) (mini) TV Series .... Clement Attlee
"Devil's Crown, The" (1978) TV Series .... William
Hitch in Time, A (1978) .... Professor Wagstaff
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) .... Melanthius
... aka Sinbad at the World's End (1977)
Sinking of HMS Victoria (1977) (TV)
... aka BBC2 Play of the Week: Sinking of HMS Victoria (1977) (TV) (UK: series title)
"Feathered Serpent, The" (1976) TV Series .... Nasca
Omen, The (1976) .... Father Brennan
... aka Omen I (1976) (reissue title)
... aka Omen I: The Antichrist (1976) (reissue title)
... aka Omen I: The Birthmark (1976) (reissue title)
Nurse Will Make It Better (1975) (TV) .... Lyall
... aka Devil's Web, The (1975) (TV) (USA)
... aka Thriller: Nurse Will Make It Better (1975) (TV) (UK: series title)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974) .... Bodysnatcher
"Six Wives of Henry VIII, The" (1971) (mini) TV Series .... Duke of Norfolk
Chopper, The (1971) (TV) .... Jimmy Reed
... aka Out of the Unknown: The Chopper (1971) (TV) (UK: series title)
Jilly (1971) (TV)
... aka Thirty-Minute Theatre: Jilly (1971) (TV) (UK: series title)
"Family at War, A" (1970) TV Series .... Mr. Porter
"Little Women" (1970I) (mini) TV Series .... Mr. March
Scars of Dracula (1970) .... Klove
Viking Queen, The (1967) .... Tristram
"Doctor Who" (1963) TV Series .... The Doctor (1966-1969)
... aka "Dr. Who" (1963)
Give the Clown His Supper (1965) (TV)
... aka Thirty-Minute Theatre: Give the Clown His Supper (1965) (TV) (UK: series title)
Black Torment, The (1964) .... Stable Hand
... aka Estate of Insanity (1964)
Gorgon, The (1964) .... Inspector Kanof
Jason and the Argonauts (1963) .... Phineas
... aka Jason and the Golden Fleece (1963)
"Old Curiosity Shop, The" (1962) (mini) TV Series .... Daniel Quilp
"Dr. Finlay's Casebook" (1962) TV Series
Phantom of the Opera, The (1962) .... The Rat Catcher
Moonraker, The (1957) .... Captain Wilcox
"Scarlet Pimpernel, The" (1954) TV Series .... Sir Andrew Ffoulkes
Misalliance (1954)
Richard III (1954) .... Tyrrell
Black Knight, The (1954I) .... King Mark
White Corridors (1951)
Chance of a Lifetime (1950
I) .... Kettle
Franchise Affair, The (1950) .... Bill Brough
Waterfront (1950)
... aka Waterfront Women (1950) (USA)
Woman with No Name, The (1950) .... Colin
... aka Her Panelled Door (1951) (USA)
Treasure Island (1950) .... Roach
Cardboard Cavalier (1949)
Badger's Green (1948)
Escape (1948) .... Shepherd
Hamlet (1948) .... Player King
King Lear (1948) (TV) .... Edmund
Hamlet (1947) (TV) .... Horatio

Information obtained from memory, the Doctor Who Appreciation Society website, and IMDB.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.