An experiment in random lyricism. Lawnjart sent me a line, (at the time I did not know it was a fragmented lyric) and I responded in kind. Next, I decided to give my own along with the first to others, see what happened. Lots of people played along, I did not tell them it was a game until I thought we'd played it out.

The results:
(Pipelinks that were part of the original /msg are marked with an asterix.)

Agent Jart:

lawnjart says

does she ever whisper in his ear all her favorite fruit, and all the most exotic places they are cultivated?
stand/alone/bitch says
she never does but she hums the sound of four hundred days passing
lawnjart says
passing past the past and on into those days she nor I can see nor guess.
stand/alone/bitch says
drifting notes that dredge up the future none of us will face, dragging down a poster child.
lawnjart says
in limitless disgrace. yet the universe churns within her still, the threat hangs heavy that she'll give up,and she will
stand/alone/bitch says
but still she cried, and still the world pursued - for what is she (and what are we) but mortally wounded footsoldiers?
lawnjart says
burning meat and brittle bone held together, with steaming lie and brittle promise. shambling toward the box we call home.
stand/alone/bitch says
Home from the hill*, and the sailors home to the sea, and the home we seek shall crumble to dust and call us
lawnjart says
dry, cold, the funeral drum. the womb says "go", the grave says "come".
stand/alone/bitch says
and hearts like muffled marches beat the rhythm of our lives to a slow and steady halt
lawnjart says
beaten down the beaten path, beaten and still we march, march and still we die.
stand/alone/bitch says
beaten but not broken, we stumble as they fly, we crumble as they die - we are immortalized in speech and ephemeral tongues
lawnjart says
but it is the cryptic geography of dream landscapes that make us try from the mud. We will fly.
stand/alone/bitch says
and hence, the cryptic mythology of life's scrapes that urge us to try, and crying, we shall sally forth into a new millennium's heresy.
lawnjart says
eyes deranged, our heroes hanged, our leaders set upon us as fungi to the rotting leaves, we envy those who leave.
stand/alone/bitch says
and those who leave envy those that stay, for the ones that stay are the ones that can create a difference, it is the ones that stay who can sing of a new tommorow and the ones that stay who can tell of a truer sorrow. Thusly ends the story of us.

Matastrophe gives it a whirl:

stand/alone/bitch says

did he sing of fantastic green islands, and sparkling fish, did she tell how he haunted the waters?
stand/alone/bitch says
does she ever whisper in his ear all her favorite fruit, and all the most exotic places they are cultivated?
mat catastrophe says
meow. Key lime pie.

And donfreenut:

stand/alone/bitch says

did he sing of fantastic green islands, and sparkling fish, did she tell how he haunted the waters?
donfreenut says
yeah, she did. it was a pretty good song, i guess, but not really my bag of oysters. i'm more into songs of jelly
stand/alone/bitch says
is it jelly donuts or calves foot of the same? Is it the glimmering shimmering wobblature?
donfreenut says
it's the cloven hoof and the canine woof, the pallish hare and the smallish snare. draw your own conclusions.
stand/alone/bitch says
the snarelike drums and fear that reverberates are muffled rhythmic chants that lure us deeper. Which do you follow?
donfreenut says
the fear that reverberates, and at the resonant frequency of the knot at the terminus of humankind's rope i writhe.
stand/alone/bitch says
and yet, those that follow the panic into this new millennium find they have less to sing of and more toil to create
donfreenut says
toil, toil, toil. not enough singing. fucked are they that toil and do not sing. That's my workday right there. except with less toil and more e2.
stand/alone/bitch says
and thus, all nonsensical roads bring us back to the nodegel that oils the cogs and the hub we call E2.
donfreenut says
E2: making sense of our lives without our consent.

alienhuman checking in...

stand/alone/bitch says

did he sing of fantastic green islands, and sparkling fish, did she tell how he haunted the waters?
stand/alone/bitch says
does she ever whisper in his ear all her favorite fruit, and all the most exotic places they are cultivated?
alienhuman says
/me scratches head. Huh?

Knifegirl plays DIRTY!

stand/alone/bitch says

did he sing of fantastic green islands, and sparkling fish, did she tell how he haunted the waters?
knifegirl says
she ran off to california to be an herbalist.
stand/alone/bitch says
and the peace she sought, it came stomping after her in clumsy iron boots of doom?
knifegirl says
actually, she lived a charmed existence. my guess is she's screwing rock stars.
stand/alone/bitch says
I like the way you think. YOU PLAY NICE.

tandex:

stand/alone/bitch says

did he sing of fantastic green islands, and sparkling fish, did she tell how he haunted the waters?
stand/alone/bitch says
does she ever whisper in his ear all her favorite fruit, and all the most exotic places they are cultivated?
tandex says
she did once, now she stares at him dubiously and wonders if the fish he talks about care or are just carnivorous predators and she's some kind of chum.
stand/alone/bitch says
the fish he talks of care more than she can dream in a lifetime, and he hums the tune of a thousand bears sleeping
tandex says
they lumber too close to the surface of thought though, she's just dangled before them... and he's just waiting for a bearskin rug
stand/alone/bitch says
her surface of thought is muddied by his meddling paws, his bearskin is bloody and torn with anxiety.
tandex says
if only she could read between the lines* maybe she'd have his skin in front of a fireplace
stand/alone/bitch says
but thought is ephemeral and such is the way of all humans - we grasp at slithery fish scales and come up with diamonds
tandex says
only the worst ones though. Sharks look smooth but if you're looking for those types of diamonds you're going to get scraped up pretty bad...is it danger in beauty?
stand/alone/bitch says
Does not all beauty have elements of danger? and is not love misused as beauty*? Who's to say which is more and which is less? Why do we follow these muffled rhythms?
tandex says
because diamonds are outside of our understanding, my view of them is to favor the flawed, the perfect are just plain to me. Love is just feeling, rhythms are just "sounds we have to listen to" at least once in a while, muted they may be...
stand/alone/bitch says
and thus endeth the story of us. we plod on like weary footsoldiers into a new millennium. Thank you for playing.

Insanity is not contagious, discofever:

stand/alone/bitch says

did he sing of fantastic green islands, and sparkling fish, did she tell how he haunted the waters?
discofever says
Stay away. You frighten me.
stand/alone/bitch says
fear is but an illusionary tactic lesser men have used to decieve
discofever says
Ha! What? Art sane? Art not distraught, lady, who hearest with joy the outrage to our royal house done, and art not at the horrid tale afraid?
stand/alone/bitch says
distraught beyond temptation, sane beyond belief, she hums a tune of three thousand yesterdays and blithely dries the rain as she turns the page and starts afresh.

GangstaFeelsHeadachy:

stand/alone/bitch says

Did she sing of fantastic green islands, and sparkling fish, did he tell how she haunted the waters?
stand/alone/bitch says
does she ever whisper in his ear all her favorite fruit, and all the most exotic places they are cultivated?
GangstaFeelsGood says
You make my brain hurt

birdonmyshoulder* needed a little nudge but she come through:

stand/alone/bitch says

did he sing of fantastic green islands, and sparkling fish, did she tell how he haunted the waters?
birdonmyshoulder* says
He told me how she tried to be a mermaid and lost her tail in the murky bottom, and she floats and talks of God when we're not looking (but we're never looking, all we ever do is fish and fuck around with the water)
stand/alone/bitch says
Foolhardy humans, lurking beneath her wings and slitting her tail for the price she will bring
birdonmyshoulder* says
and one day when she surfaces she'll find her tail on a president's plate and wonder who let him in, anyway
stand/alone/bitch says
then, only then, the truth will out: They loved her for her fishy elusiveness as much as her delicate legs
birdonmyshoulder* says
who knew she could be worshipped on such a scale?
(hee hee! get it? huh? huh? do ya?)
stand/alone/bitch says
I DO! Thank you for playing my game.

Kamamer:

stand/alone/bitch says

Does she ever whisper in his ear all her favorite fruit, and all the most exotic places they are cultivated?
kamamer says
:-)
stand/alone/bitch says
YOU SMILED. YOU LOSE.

and good ole' Robinsloon:

stand/alone/bitch says

Did he sing of fantastic green islands, and sparkling fish, did she tell how he haunted the waters?
stand/alone/bitch says
Does she ever whisper in his ear all her favorite fruit, and all the most exotic places they are cultivated?
Roninspoon says
Clearly you are mad, as I don't know what you are talking about.
stand/alone/bitch says
What is madness, but a mere matter of perception? Speak: skip, gambol and frolic in these calm waters.
Roninspoon says
are you making metaphors in regards to childbirth and the classic madonna whore complex? If you are, that's pretty deep.
stand/alone/bitch says
And if i am? Where have you the stature to presume such self-righteousness? IT IS ALL PAIN AND WE WILL ALL SUFFER
Roninspoon says
Time for your meds, sweetie
stand/alone/bitch says
and i will take them gladly. Thank you for playing.
Roninspoon says
Do i get a prize? A fabulous vacation? A new car!? A box of rice-aroni?!!
stand/alone/bitch says
Noone wins in this mercenary game but those who play with malice aforethought.
Roninspoon says
You Bitch! I don't have a single malicious bone in my body!
stand/alone/bitch says
and that is why I win.


And lastly - upon being told it was just a game my scrambled mind had thought up: (what else could it be?)

knifegirl says

hot damn!

tandex says

by the way, please warn me if you would like to do that again. I about blew my brain out trying to contemplate this on the fly like that... on second thought I'd rather have no warning... much better interesting stuff, though - it's like being forced to write poetry at gunpoint

Roninspoon says

well, I don't like losing, but I dislike difficult competition even more. Although, I once saw monkies in a dime store window throw fire and brimstone down to the darwinians

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.