The Budo Charter or Budo Kensho was written on April 23, 1987 by Japanese Budo Association (Nippon Budo Shingikai) which was an ad-hoc committee put together to create the official definition of Budo and included the representatives from Judo, Kendo, Kyudo, Sumo, Karatedo, Aikido, Shorinji Kempo, Naginata, and Jukendo as well as well-known budo researchers, famous scholars, and historians. The intention of the charter is to define what budo is, and states the purpose and the meaning of budo training.

"Budo, rooted in the martial spirit of ancient Japan, is an aspect of traditional culture that has evolved from Jutsu to Do through centuries of historical and social change.

Following the concept of unity of mind and technique budo has developed and refined a discipline of austere training which promotes etiquette, skillful technique, physical strength and the unity of mind and body. Modern Japanese have inherited these values and they play a prominent role in forming Japanese personalities. In modern Japan the budo spirit is a source of powerful energy and promotes a pleasant disposition in the individual.

Today, budo has been diffused throughout the world and has attracted strong interest internationally. However, infatuation with mere technical training, and undue concern with winning is a severethreat to the essence of budo. To prevent this perversion of the art we must continually examine ourselves and endeavor to perfect and preserve this national heritage.

It is with this hope that we establish the Budo Charter in order to uphold the fundamental principles of traditional budo."

ARTICLE 1 (OBJECT): The object of budo is to cultivate character, enrich the ability to make value judgements, and foster a well disciplined and capable individual through participation in physical and mental training utilizing martial techniques.

ARTICLE 2 (KEIKO): When practicing daily, one must constantly follow decorum, adhere to the fundamentals, and resist the temptation to pursue mere technical skill rather than the unity of mind and technique.

ARTICLE 3 (SHIAI): In a match and the performance of kata, one must manifest budo spirit, exert oneself to the utmost, win with modesty, accept defeat gracefully, and constantly exhibit temperate attitudes.

ARTICLE 4 (DOJO): The dojo is a sacred place for training one's mind and body. Here one must maintain discipline, proper etiquette, and formality. The training area must be a quiet, clean, safe and solemn environment.

ARTICLE 5 (TEACHING): When teaching trainees, in order to be an effective teacher, the budo master should always strive to cultivate one's character, and further one's own skill and discipline of mind and body. One should not be swayed by winning or losing, or display arrogance about one's superior skill but rather one should retain the attitudes suitable for a role-model.

ARTICLE 6 (PROMOTION): When promoting budo, one should follow traditional values, seek substantial training, contribute to research, and do one's utmost to perfect and preserve this traditional art with an understanding of international points of view.

Taken from www.aikidofaq.com/misc/budo_charter.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.