An unbearable level of heat in the summertime that is only escapable in buildings with strong air-conditioners. Many people die in temperatures that can soar well above 30 degrees Celsius.

Escape is difficult, but is helped by taking cold showers, sitting under a garden hose, swimming in the ocean, crawling into a deep freezer (not recommended), cranking open fire hydrants, or lying on your bed feeling a fan move air around your body.

Sleeping during a heatwave is difficult, your life energy dissipates, and your brain retreats into listlessness.
A villain published by DC Comics. Heat Wave first appeared in The Flash #140 in 1963.

The tragic story of Rory Calhoun and his turn to a criminal career is a dire warning to the under-funding of our school systems. Had the school system had better funding, the children in Calhoun's class would likely have taken a field trip to the zoo, science museum, or the state capital. But one can only imagine it was due to state budget cuts that Calhoun's class was taken to a meat-packing plant for a field trip.

During the tour, Calhoun wandered away from the group (which good little boys and girls never do) and accidently got locked in a meat locker. Trapped for a long time and unable to escape, Calhoun found that he was only able to stay warm by blowing into his hands. When he was finally found, Calhoun was scarred by the incident and had a fear of being cold and so became obsessed with heat. To this end, he decided to seek a career that would allow him to be in contact with heat all the time. Rather than choosing a profitable career path in the steel industry or a vulcanoligist, Calhoun decided to be a fire-eater.

Over time, Calhoun decided to that he may have pursued the wrong career and decided to become a hardened criminal. Dressed in a fire suit to protect him from the flames, Calhoun created a gun that acted as a flame thrower and adopted the identity of Heat Wave. The fact that he chose to start his criminal career in Central City, the home of the Silver Age Flash, shows a continued tendancy for Calhoun to make bad choices. He clashed with the hero on many occasions and even got in a competition with fellow Rogues Gallery member Captain Cold.

Eventually, Calhoun reformed and became an upright citizen working as a fireman in Central City and a friend of Barry Allen, the Flash. The fact that a man who loved fires was given a job as a fireman makes one wonder at the background checks done by the Central City fire department. Calhoun lived an uneventful life for a number of years.

After the disappearance of the Silver Age Flash, Calhoun and the original members of the Rogues Gallery were approached by Abra Kadabra and offered great power. Calhoun's decision making skills were still in full swing and he accepted finding himself caught in a plot by the demon Neron to defeat the new Flash Wally West. Calhoun and the others were killed and returned to earth with great power, but no souls. They were eventually returned to normal after West defeated Neron.

Heat waves are the deadliest of weather phenomena in the developed world, killing more people than blizzards, storms or floods. Their lethality is determined by many factors - the number of days of prolonged hot weather, the humidity in the air, and the number of respites when the minimum temperature drops down to a tolerable level. Yet there are also social factors.

Through analysing the number of excess deaths for certain causes of deaths (such as hyperthermia, strokes and dehydration) compared with figures from other time periods, it is possible to calculate a death toll. Some of the worst heatwaves in history have occured in France in August 2003 (14,000 estimated dead), Greece in July 1987 (2,000 dead), Belgium in July 1994 (1,226 dead), New York in July 1972 (891 dead), and Chicago in July 1996 (739 dead). The urban sociology of Chicago which led to the deaths in 1996 is explained quite well in the book Heatwave - A Social Autopsy of Disaster by Eric Klinenberg.

Since heatwaves cause no physical damage (except if power systems overload because everybody has their air conditioner switched on), there is little public attention of the loss of life. Also, victims of heatwaves tend to be elderly people with little social networks. Their deaths are written off as inevitable, even if with a little bit of intervention they could have been saved. It is too easy for a government to blame old age or just the weather for heatwave deaths, rather than spend money on better aged care programmes, or point the finger at the voting public.

Ways how governments can limit the medical impact of heatwaves include:

  • ensuring hospitals are adequately staffed (many doctors in France in August 2003 were spending their holiday credits at the beach, accumulated thanks to the 35 hour week).
  • ensuring buildings are built to insulate against heat, are appropriately air conditioned, or at least are well-ventilated.
  • promoting prevention, such as the regular drinking of fluids.
  • opening air conditioned public spaces to the public.
  • enhancing social capital, so that people actively look after each other, particularly those without family or friends. Many elderly people died in the Chicago heatwave because out of a fear of burglary they did not adequately ventilate their apartments.

  • Heat Wave: A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago

    Eric Klinenberg. Heat Wave: A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2002.

    Heat Wave examines the 1995 weather disaster that killed more than 700 people from July 12 to July 16, most of them poor and elderly. Klinenberg identifies the social, environmental, and political components of this tragedy, and I compare it with the heat wave that claimed the lives of 15,000 people in France in the summer of 2003.

    Klinenberg performs a compelling and disturbing dissection of the social, economic, cultural and political conditions and policies that led to the deaths of over 700 people in Chicago during a powerful heat wave in 1995. He examines the age, gender, and racial characteristics of "the decedents" to determine why they were particularly vulnerable to the extreme weather conditions, the physical environments in which they lived and died, and the assumptions, failures, and symbolic reproductions of the tragedy by government officials, city agencies and the local media. Klinenberg contends that "this study establishes that the heat wave deaths represent . . . 'biological reflections of social fault lines' for which we, and not nature, are responsible" (p. 11). Thus, his work is quite reminiscent of Mike Davis’s argument in Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World (2000) that the extensive loss of life during the nineteenth century drought-famines caused by El Niño-Southern Oscillation events always had a human component (although Klinenberg is not nearly so openly condemnatory of predatory capitalism as Davis).

    Klinenberg establishes that 73% of the decedents were over the age of 65 and men were more than twice as likely to die as women, because elderly men often have more limited social networks and thus less access to aid and support. Black Americans "had the highest proportional death rates" (p. 18), a consequence of their marginalization and residence in impoverished neighborhoods with few safe commercial or public buildings; crumbling, inadequate streets, sidewalks, and lighting; and higher rates of crime and violence, leading the older citizens to feel their safety could only be assured by staying within their homes as much as possible, behind locked doors and closed windows. The elderly poor could not afford air conditioning because of their limited incomes and government cuts in aid, and they sometimes even lacked water. And because the "reinvented city" expected sharp, active "consumers" to inform themselves about and take advantage of its services, it was the most marginalized and vulnerable citizens who had the least access to the help and support they desperately needed.

    There was a certain irony in that Klinenberg’s book was published just a year before the heat wave that killed 15,000 people in France in August, 2003, especially when he writes that he was in Europe during the summer of 1995 and although it was "uncomfortably hot," he didn’t hear about any deaths from the heat there. So he thought this illustrated a "contrast" between Europe and the U.S. (p. 12), when in fact, a quick Google search turns up a number of stories and articles about the French heat wave that reveal the striking similarities between these weather-related tragedies. As Will Parry wrote in The Guardian in November, 2003: "Hospitals and morgues were overwhelmed. Most of the victims were elderly. Most lived in isolation from family and community. Most were poor."

    As in Chicago, government and social service agencies tried to deflect the blame by pointing fingers at other parties. The Fire Department claimed that police and paramedics did not accurately report conditions in the field; the paramedics retorted that their reports were ignored or discounted.The medical system buckled under the strain during both heat wave disasters. In Chicago at the height of the crisis, there was a shortage of ambulances and nearly half of the city’s hospitals went on "bypass" status, turning away critically-ill victims. Many critics charged that the French medical system broke down because a large number of doctors and support personnel were on their annual summer holiday during the crisis; however, at least one news article featured quotes from doctors and staff who denounced such accusations as overblown and unfounded. And just as some Chicago officials and commentators attempted to shift the blame to the victims or their families, so did some French health professional and government officials.

    Chicago politicians and media pundits bemoaned the breakdown of family ties and neighborliness; while in France, the elderly victims were supposedly "abandoned" by their families who were on holiday during the heat wave—but I wonder how many of the French victims were in fact as totally isolated and bereft of family and social support as Chicago’s elderly decedents? At least one French doctor claimed that the elderly victims had "rejected" family and friends, "resisted" going on vacation with their families, or "avoided contact" with neighbors and relatives. In Chicago, Human Services Commissioner Daniel Alvarez callously stated that "We’re talking about people who die because they neglect themselves" (p. 172).

    These parallels powerfully support and strengthen Klinenberg’s research and arguments. As one blogger pointed out, it would be especially interesting to know the ethnic and racial status of the French victims. How did immigrants fare—were they especially isolated, or was their experience similar to that of the residents of the vibrant Latino community of Chicago's Little Village? One of the French victims was a Moroccan woman living in a small room known as chambres de bonnes ("maids’ quarters") on the top floor of apartment buildings, covered by zinc tiles, in circumstances nearly identical to those of Chicagoans living in stifling single rooms in hotel residences. What about gender—did more older men than women die, as in Chicago? What was the spatial distribution of the deaths—in Paris, for example, did the approximately 1,500 fatalities occur in poorer, more dangerous neighborhoods? Although France is generally thought to provide a higher level of social protection than the US,* clearly both of these modern western nations share social, economic, and political structural characteristics that render the elderly poor particularly vulnerable to these catastrophes.

    Naturally, Klinenberg was interviewed by U.S. media during the French crisis, and he pointed out that unlike Chicago, where no public officials were held accountable, at least the French minister of health was forced to step down in the wake of the tragedy. Another difference (although not one noted by Klinenberg) is that the 47 unclaimed bodies in Chicago were buried in a mass grave; in Paris, the 57 unclaimed bodies were buried at the same time, but in individual graves.

    It is also ironic that Davis wrote a typically-polemical piece comparing the Chicago and French heat wave calamities called "Our Summer Vacation: 20,000 Dead" in September, 2003, but a look at the index to his book, Ecology of Fear: Los Angeles and the Imagination of Disaster (1998), turns up no entry for "heat wave," nor does his litany of Los Angeles’s natural disasters such as earthquakes, fires, tornadoes, floods, and drought appear to include the heat wave of 1955 which killed nearly a thousand people. And yet, as Klinenberg notes, annual heat-related deaths exceed those for "all other extreme meteorological events combined" (emphasis his, p. 17).


    *Don Jaime suggested that I should revise my previous statement, "Although France is supposedly a socialist country" because "'democratic market economy' is probably the best term. It's been several years since there was even a socialist government." Upon reflection, I agree, and thank you for the correction. (Revised August 9, 2007).

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.