Members of The Buggles, in going on to participate in other acts such as Art of Noise, helped shape much of the early electronica/techno scene. Their video, for better or worse, set the stage for the first three or four years of the music video genre. While those years may not have been years that we remember without shuddering a bit (despite loving 'em), they did have a fairly profound impact on pop culture in the mid-'80s.

BTW, their famous track Video Killed the Radio Star is off the album The Age of Plastic (thanks to SansPoint for correcting me on that), which I highly recommend if you like any of the bands mentioned above. It's still available on CD. A later album of theirs is seen occasionally; it's named Adventures in Modern Recording but I think it's only on vinyl.

The Buggles' two albums were Living In The Plastic Age (1979) and Adventures In Modern Recording (1982). You'll note this sandwiches their participation in Yes (for 1980's Drama).

Trevor Horn is still a sought-after producer, but I don't know who else other than Seal he's been producing lately. I don't think he's made his own music since the last Buggles album.

Geoff Downes, after the Buggles and before The New Dance Orchestra, hit the ground with Asia, with his former Yes bandmate Steve Howe (and progressive rock giants Carl Palmer and John Wetton,) for the albums Asia (1982), Alpha (1983) and Astra (1986). He also produced Howe's band's GTR album.

It's indeed odd how these New Wavers ended up mixed up with the aging prog rockers.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.