Usually a list attached to a research paper of some sort. The list follows bibilographic form and lists the resources that were quoted from in the paper. This is an essental part of just about every research paper and demonstrates where the focus of your paper was influced from.

Center the words "Works Cited" at the top of the page. Double space between works only. Use a hanging indent of .5" (1.27 cm). Alphabetize by author's last name.

Incidentally, knowing how to do the actual citations is a good idea, too:

To cite a direct quote in-text:
  "Quote" (Authorslastname PAGENUMBER).

For example:

  "Maybe we should just have skipped from 1967 to 1969" (Barry 128).

To cite a paraphrase:

  Paraphrase (Authorslastname PAGENUMBER).

For example:

  1967 sucked (Barry 128).

On the Works Cited page:

  Authorslastname, Authorsfirstname.  Title of Work.  City: Publisher, DATE.

For example:

  Barry, Dave.  Dave Barry Turns 50.  New York: Ballantine, 1998.

There are a hell of a lot of rules for books with no authors, two authors, editors, magazines, websites, etc. I'm not going to put them all here.

  Authorslastname, Authorsfirstname.  "Title of page".  <url> (Date you went there).

The author's name is omitted if not given--alphabetize by title. For example:

  "Welcome to Everything@Everything2.com."  <http://www.everything2.com> (Jan 1, 2001).

For a magazine:

  Authorsfirstname, Authorslastname.  "Title of Article."  Magazine, Date, PAGES.

For example:

  Tarpy, Cliff.  "Danube River."  National Geographic, March 2002, 62-79.

For these examples, the Works Cited page will look something like this:


Works Cited

  Barry, Dave.  Dave Barry Turns 50.  New York: Ballantine, 1998.

  Tarpy, Cliff.  "Danube River."  National Geographic, March 2002, 62-79

  "Welcome to Everything@Everything2.com."  <http://www.everything2.com> (Jan 1, 2001).

I'd pay good money to see the report that went with that!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.