A largish city in the Texas Panhandle, settled in 1887 and named for the Spanish word for "yellow", the color of the soil in the area. It is the county seat of Potter County, but a large part of the city is also located in Randall County, too. The population is approximately 300,000 people, the average annual temperature is 57 degrees, and the city receives about 19 inches of precipitation yearly. The city's residents are conservative to a near-cartoonish degree.

Most of the economy is based around agriculture and tourism. Route 66 runs through Amarillo, and the nearby and spectacularly beautiful Palo Duro Canyon hosts the popular musical drama "TEXAS" during the summer months. Among other things, Amarillo has the Big Texan Steakhouse, where you can eat a five-pound steak for free (IF you can eat it AND all the fixins in less than one hour), the Cadillac Ranch (a bunch of old cars sunk nose-first in the ground and covered with graffiti -- for some reason, the local chamber of commerce considers it the town's biggest attraction, even though it's utterly stupid), and a bunch of very Discordian road signs scattered prominently throughout town. The American Quarter Horse Museum is located in Amarillo, and the city also has a small zoo.