"You're going to need a bigger boat."

American thriller/horror movie from 1975, directed by Steven Spielberg and written by Peter Benchley and Carl Gottlieb, based on Benchley's novel. It starred Roy Scheider as Chief Martin Brody, Richard Dreyfuss as Matt Hooper, Robert Shaw as Quint, Lorraine Gary as Ellen Brody, Murray Hamilton as Mayor Larry Vaughn, and Bruce as the shark. The famous and very, very menacing musical score was composed by John Williams.

The plot is familiar to most: a Great White Shark moves into the waters outside Amity Island and starts munching on a number of swimmers. The mayor wants the crisis hushed up so the summer's tourist trade isn't threatened, but as the shark attacks increase, the police chief, a marine biologist, and grizzled sea captain set out to try to end the shark's rampage.

By now, you probably know that this was the first Summer Blockbuster, that the mechanical shark rarely worked right and was replaced by spooky first-person cinematography and ominous music, that Shaw wrote his own monologue about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. You probably know that Benchley objected to some elements of the script (particularly the ending), that Spielberg delivered the movie late and over budget, and that it still made the studio a ton of money. I like to fool myself that the character interaction is my favorite thing in the movie (Show me a better or more rousing rendition of "Show Me the Way to Go Home" and I'll punch you in the teeth, you sneaky little bastard), but I can't deny that the scene with Scheider pitching chum into the water gives me chills every time I watch it. I have no idea whether Alfred Hitchcock ever watched this movie, but if he did, I reckon he liked it. It's one of the most suspenseful movies in decades. If you haven't watched it yet, you're denying yourself one of the great pleasures of cinema.

Some research from the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com)