After watching Home Alone 2, I realized that the point of the film was not only to make big bucks from a name already established by the first movie, but to show that the characters are incapable of learning anything, thus resulting in a plot almost identical to the first movie.

With that in mind, here is a list of things that people probably should have learned, based on events in the first movie, but didn't:

The McAllister's never learned that they should get a battery for their alarm clock so that when they lose power to it, they don't oversleep.

The other relatives of the McAllister's never learned to bring their own clocks, so they can still wake up when Kevin's parents oversleep.

None of the various commercial drivers ever learn not to hit the bronze statue on the driveway.

The McAllisters didn't learn that they should move the statue, so it doesn't get hit all the time.

Kevin's Dad never learned that he should never let Kevin get access to his credit cards, money, or any other valuable item which may be traded for goods and services.

Kevin's parents never learned that local law enforcement agencies are powerless to help them get their son back when they lose him.

The entire family never learned that they will invariably have a horrible time on their Christmas vacation, and it's a waste of time and money to go in the first place.

The bandits never learned that they should stay the hell away from Kevin, even after the ruthless beating they received the last time they messed with him.

Kevin never learned that the enigmatic stranger will end up being his savior.