Empire Maker

Act 0
Scene i


A play by James T. Western




Characters: Mark, Romeo, two mens' voices coming over a radio, a collection of car sounds
Setting: A mountainous area. The ground is rocky, but below the treeline such that there are fir trees or a suggestion of fir trees about. The era is modern, but not specified.


Stage Direction: Set up
Open on two men laying upon the ground facing away from the audience feet angled widely apart. A tree or shrub (real or artificially substitued artwork) is stage right of the men. Both are in military garb, wearing tight fitting caps of a similar fabric. The man on the left is the character Mark, he is carrying a backpack with a large phone/radio on it. The man on the right is the character Romeo, he is holding a rifle with a scope and pearing around the cover to his right. The radio buzzes audibly.




Mark: Go Team Leader, this is Mark.

Radio: Has the target been acquired?

Mark pulls a pair of binoculars from his left side to his face and looks off stage right, Romeo postures looking through his scope.

Romeo: Target has just appeared below us...

Mark: Team Leader, Romeo has sighted the target. slight pause, looks through binoculars again Confirm target acquisition. Target is in range. Over. to Romeo Take the shot.

Romeo: slight pause This doesn't seem fair. They wanted a revolution and we're going to kill the idea of it before they even start...

Mark: Are you joking? This is the best solution. For all parties involved. Take the shot, killer.

Romeo: We're talking about people who were born for this. Now, the first time they decide to stand we're going to have to be the ones to tell them they've won, without any effort. They won't like it. She won't like it.

Mark: You don't know the people we'll be helping; I don't think you appreciate the lives you're about to save...

Romeo: I don't. Tell me it's thousands; millions...

Mark: No; it'll just be the best. The people who care...

Radio: What is the status of the target!

Mark: Team Leader, target has been eliminated. Over.

Mark stares pointedly at Romeo.
Romeo hesitates only slightly

Radio: Excellent work...

There is the crack of a gunshot from Romeo.

Radio cuts out with the sound of broken glass coming over the radio. From stage right comes the sound of brakes squealing and an explosion.

Mark: Reaches inside jacket for a much smaller radio. Mission Control, this is Operator Condor; target has been eliminated.

Exeunt Mark and Romeo swiftly stage left.