A book, or rather, an experiment in text by author Jeff Noon(Vurt, Pollen, Needle in the Groove). Cobralingus contains several pieces of text by different authors which "have been run through the cobralingus engine", which seems to be a procedure similar to what mixing does with music. It plucks samples from classic literature, cuts in filters or 'gates' such as 'overload', 'ghost' and 'add virus', processes which strip the text to it's bare bones, or pump it up to (and often beyond) breaking point. Noon mixes in more samples, the periodic table, the shipping forecast, keeping the words and meaning liquid, always extracting, reducing, focusing, distorting, finding new rhythms in the emerging forms, pushing and cutting the text forward, into the next remix.
Some compare this book with the works of E. E. Cummings. Full of strange but beautiful illustrations and texts juxtaposed against each other, Cobralingus seems to be a piece of art that you either love or hate.

The blurb on the back of the book reads:

"Thank you for reading this promotional blurb for the Cobralingus Engine.

Cobralingus allows language to partake of a future liquid state of consciousness. It uses the Metamorphiction process to apply the techniques of electronic dance music to the production of words, dissolving language. In this mutated, liquid state, words are manipulated into new forms; borrowed text is sampled and transformed.

Please note: Cobralingus uses only imaginary technologies and the strangely twisted pathways inside Jeff Noon’s head.

This blurb is now complete."

Unusually enough, cobralingus seems to be available only in a paperback edition, having never been published in hardcover. Amazon.com has no information on any other edition.