A few facts about growing hops. First, only the female unfertilized flower, the catkin, is of any use. Hops is planted in two ways: as a root (obtained through a hops nursery) or rooted from pre-existing stock. This is done once the plant is established in your garden. Bury one of the vines to a length of 10-20 inches and water daily. Like a tomato vine, the tendril will send out roots, and after 2-3 weeks, this can be dug up and transplanted, thus insuring a new female root.

The conditions that are considered optimum for growth are full-sun and lots of water. Fertilization (preferably with compost) is best done just as the buds begin to develop. This is also a critical time for pest control, at least in the Northeast. Japanese beetles can ravage a crop of hops in days. While beetle traps are of some use, it should be remembered that the plant Humulus lupulus gives off a pheremone (similar to estrogen) that will draw beetles from miles away. There is no substitute to diligence (hand picking the bugs) and your crop will thank you for it.

Hops adds the "bitter" to ales and beers. The bitterness is calculated as the "alpha" number, lower being more bitter. Find a great beer recipe under "Beer Recipe".