10:31

So, it's Valentine's Day. They say Christmas is tough on the lonely people, but this particular day isn't that great either. Luckily it isn't a national holiday, so at least we won't experience a tidal wave of suicides.
For me, today is just a regular workday. In Finland it is actually called ystävänpäivä, "friends' day", but that doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to me. Then again, who cares? the whole thing is a just a celebration for big profit among greeting card and chocolate manufacturers. Why should one listen to them on when it's a good time to express their feelings towards loved ones?
And before you get to ask.. No, I most likely would not be this cynical if I wasn't one of the pathetic lonely guys.

And now for something completely different.

A day log might not be the most proper place for writing about this, but I have to voice my opinion. I am simply appalled by the recent discussions on a gay "marriage" law proposal in the Finnish house of representatives. My blood pressure rises just from repeating the things the most fanatic lunatics in the Christian party are uttering on the subject.
I'm not gay. I don't even personally know any gay people, with maybe the exception of ones in the closet whose sexual preferences aren't known by me. However, this kind of witch hunt goes against all the sense of logic I possess. Finns have been informed by their representatives that homosexual behavior is unnatural* and a mental disorder one can be cured of. Ideas like "Identical to incest" and "a worldwide gay consipiracy" have also been thrown around in official statements.
Now somebody tell me, WTF is going on with this country?
I used to think Finland wasn't among the most narrow minded nations, but now it feels like we're going towards the 1600s in an alarming rate. People like Ritva Santavuori and Ville "Adolf" Itälä (our fasistic internal minister) would already be enough, but it looks like a large part of the representatives are just as bad if not worse.
Oh well, I probably won't stay in this backwoods country for many more years anyway. You can keep your police state and dwell in your paranoia, hysteria and phobias for all I care.

* I wish somebody would this to me: if something is common in nature among different species of animals, how can it be "unnatural"?

Ok, sorry for the rant. Trust me, I didn't mean this as an offense towards christians. I'm one too, if in name only. And members of many other parties are also taken the position of a raving lunatic. One more reason to keep supporting the Green party.


13:39

Just a quick note: the first entry might seem overly negative, but I'm actually in a good mood today. Sure, the politicians' statements piss me off, but I'm not letting it ruining my entire day. Things are fine. Special thanks to simonc for once again keeping my workday bearable with his /msgs.

And while I'm typing this, I should urge everybody to go out and get the Crossbreed compilation on For Life Records, put together by Kyoto Jazz Massive. It's the best damn record this year so far. Honestly.