A couple days ago I wanted potato salad. Oh god, I wanted potato salad. Yet I did not want to go to the store to buy potato salad. Hmm, interesting. So I mucked about and ended up making some damn fine potato salad. You can make some damn fine potato salad too!

For a single large serving, or two small, you need:

Scrub your potatoes under the kitchen tap, removing any eyes with your fingernails or a sharp knife. Put them in a pot, cover with water, salt, and set on the back burner of your stove to boil. Depending on size, this should take a half hour to an hour.

Meanwhile, mix the vinegar, olive oil, and mustard in a bowl. I used the bowl from which I was planning to eat said potato salad, a little pyrex one about five inches in diameter. It works best to whisk your mixture with a fork, as oil and vinegar act much like oil and water. Chop your oregano up fine and add it to the bowl. You should have abundant green speckage; I used the leaves of two or three stems of oregano. You could also add fresh parsley or basil, if you have such things around the house. Chop and add the scallion as well; you could instead use a couple slices of red onion, or just regular white onion, if you are sparing with it. Make sure to chop all these very finely, such that they will stick to the chunks of potato easily. You can also add a diced hard boiled egg, if you want to bolster your salad with such a thing. Add some pepper and salt, and mix.

When the potatoes are done, drain them, then cover them with cold water and/or ice to chill them down quickly. If you are more patient than I, you can stick them in the refrigerator and make the salad an hour later. At any rate, when the potatoes are cool, dice them into pleasing chunks. My biggest chunks were maybe an inch square, as I wanted to expose maximum surface area for maximum dressing stickage. You can remove the peels of your potatoes if they start to come off. I left the majority of my peels on.

Dump the potato chunks into the dressing bowl and mix them up so as to coat them thoroughly. Add some more pepper and salt to dust the top of the mixture. Then stick the entire bowl in the refrigerator to let the flavors mingle while you run out to the store, where you could have bought potato salad in the first place, but at this point you have made your own, and it will be better than crappy grocery store deli potato salad, even though you did actually need to run to the store, thank you very much!

When you come back, eat your potato salad, preferably out on the porch in the nice breeze, with good wheat beer with lemon slice in hand. See? It is indeed better than the grocery store kind. Food. Ooh.