Name of book: Cradle
Authors: Arthur C. Clarke, Gentry Lee

A science fiction novel.

The majority of the novel takes place in Florida, in the United States around 1995, or maybe a few years in the future or past. It starts out with a reporter researching some beached whales off one of the Florida Keys. Eventually, it is learned that the true reason for her inquiry is in relation to a US Navy experimental missile that had "crashed" in the area.

This book focuses very much on the characters themselves, and they are very well developed. The story, however, is a bit weak once one learns the true reason for the crashing of the missile, but that is the only weak point to speak of. The rest is done quite nicely, and characteristic of Clarke's realistic sci-fi style.

Of course, there is much, much more to the book than a crashed missile. Aliens, superhumans, and the fate of the entire human race all have a part in the book. The sheer difference in the technological levels of the themes can make the story a bit awkward at times, but the problem lessens as the novel progresses, and it gets quite interesting once you find out why the book has its title.

This is one of four books that Arthur C. Clarke worked with Gentry Lee on, with the others being Rama II, The Garden Of Rama, and Rama Revealed.

Back to Arthur C. Clarke