Note: These observations are just that, no more than a little description on how amateur radio repeaters are used in the New York City metropolitan area. Practices and acceptable behavior may change from region to region and country to country.

Briefly, an amateur radio repeater is a device that retransmits signals so that they may be heard over a wider range than single frequency ("simplex") communications. Repeaters have an input and output frequency. An operator transmits into the input and is heard on the output, which is the frequency monitored to "hear" the repeater. Sometimes a tone system like CTCSS (PL) is used to block interference.

To use a repeater, transmit on the input with the correct CTCSS tone. When releasing the microphone, the operator should hear a few seconds of carrier before the signal drops below the squelch. Many repeaters nowadays have a "bleep" or chime to tell you if the transmission was successful. Bleeps also remove any necessity to say "over" or "go ahead" at the end of a transmission. Use of these words have survived in areas where end of transmission tones are not common.

To announce you're around, just say "W2xxx listening" or "W2xxx monitoring". Some people get creative and say "W2xxx listening and standing by". Usually a simple call works well enough. CQ is generally not used on repeaters since stations are expected to have strong signals through the repeater.

To identify every ten minutes as per FCC law, just say your callsign at the end of your "turn". While you're talking to more than one station in a "roundtable", pass the conversation along by naming the next person to go. When leaving, you can repeat the other station's and your call sign, or just give your call sign with some announcement like "I'm in the driveway now" or "good night" or something, just to let everyone else know if you're staying on or not. If you are left alone as the last person in a conversation, just say you're either "clear" (shutting down the station) or "listening" at the end of the final transmission to tell whether or not you're willing to stay on the repeater.

Some operators make a big to-do about other operators using a sort of new ham radio lingo that's partly CB and partly HF (shortwave) usage. One example is saying "QSL" instead of "yes" or "okay". On CW (morse code), QSL? means "will you confirm this contact with a QSL card?", a verification of the contact having taken place. Another CW term misued is QTH for "where do you live?". QTH? means "your location?" in CW. Another is blatant use of CB lingo, including "handle" and "roger", though in my experience the CB-ese drops out after the newly minted operator has spent a few months on the air. For nearly every case, use common, understandable language when on the repeater. What is necessary for slow data transmission on CW is irrelevant and perhaps a bit silly on voice communications.

As a tight room with 200 regular visitors might be, ham radio repeaters are more than a bit cliquish. Yet many operators prefer higher-frequency communications to HF; given the high number of operators restricted to the upper bands it's crucial that everyone at least be able to understand one another.