Quiz: name an animated Disney movie adult woman character who is "good".

Who is not an evil witch, stepmother, fairy, fairy godmother, Tinkerbell, mermaid...

And who is not killed off in childbirth or right after she is introduced.

.......

I can't come up with any. The Disney Princesses are all virgins. Cinderella is not a princess, but she is virtuous and a virgin.

I rented Frozen recently. Ok, love between sisters was demonstrated, good, but they still killed off the adult "good" mother right after introducing her.

This interests me: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/6/11/1537582/-The-most-thorough-profound-and-moving-defense-of-Hillary-Clinton-I-have-ever-seen, that Hilary Clinton's popularity tanks each time she seeks a higher office. Girls are still supposed to be "nice". My daughter did Mock Trial in her four years of high school. She said that the girls were told by the judges that they were "Too aggressive." in critiques. "They never say that to the boys."

The message from Disney animation, from our culture is that a good girl can marry a prince and beat the evil witch... but then she will either become a witch or die. There are no good Disney queens. Kings are often killed as well but not always. Becoming an adult woman turns most women evil: the queens become evil or die, and solitary women are witches. Or a woman could be a magical character, a fairy or fairy godmother or mermaid. The best nursemaid in Disney animation is the dog in Peter Pan.

My sister and I bemoaned that there is no adult woman trickster in our culture. But we were wrong: it is the witch. She is mostly portrayed as evil, but there are good witches too. Witches are either old and hideous or an evil stepmother who is fooling the father/king. Where is the mother witch? Not portrayed yet.

Male friendships are portrayed. In Frozen we have a sister friendship and love. Maybe Disney and our culture will be able to see adult women and women who seek power as "good" and not "evil" some day...


Azul-din offers Shrek and sequels. But... I'd have to use spoilers....
Lord Brawl offers Lilo and Stitch, but the 19 year old fits the "good" profile and Zootopia and Big Zero 6 and Wreck-it Ralph. I have not seen the latter three so now have homework!