I have to admit that until 2 months ago, I was the kind of guy who would notice nothing about anybody. If a girl came up and started flirting blatantly, I would probably not notice until she flashed me her tits. That was before I started going out with my current girlfriend, who, for your information, did not attract my attention in the aforesaid manner.

After I had been going out with her for a short while, I would notice that every so often she would tune out everything that I was saying, and be more interested in some guy sitting at a table in the opposite corner of the Starbuck's we were sitting in. Understandably, I was a little confused, not to mention hurt, until I asked what she was doing, and I was told that she was people watching.

"You what?" I said

"What d'you mean, you what?"

She replied, looking at me incredulously as I got the sinking feeling that I was once again missing out on something big, as so often seems to happen to me.

As the conversation continued, I learned that my girlfriend is such an accomplished people watcher that she can spot an attraction between two people from 100 paces, before they notice it themselves, and can instantly tell someone's mood when they walk in the room. And here was me, floundering around in the dark as to what people were thinking. I mean, she can even lip read as an aid to people watching. How good is that? As far as I can see, if you people watch enough, it leads to a sort of basic telepathy, since she can always tell when one of her friends is feeling down, even when said friend is in a different county. What's more, she is right 100% of the time!

Sometimes I find this skill scary, and maybe (well ok definitely) a little nosey, but I am always impressed when I am told who will be going out with whom next, and the prediction is invariably proved right.

So, to all you people watchers out there, I'm trying to learn your skill, under the patient tuition of my beloved, but it is a slow process. I am in admiration of all of you who can read others so easily.